New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Graphics Card Upgrade

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MacVirgin10

MacVirgin10 is on a distinguished road

Howdie,

I will soon be blessed with my first Mac;
Apple iMac 3.06GHz w/ 27" Display MB952ll/A

Unfortunately I was not able to configure one or get one with the 512 MB Radion HD 4670 graphics card.

I really haven't played any games in over a year but when StarCraft 2 comes out in June, I do intend to play it from time to time.

I'm a long-time PC gamer and although I've been "out of the game" for a while, I sure do apprecaite a good graphics card.

Although it will run SC2 (but on pretty low settings), the 256 HD 4670 isn't gonna satisfy my taste

Now, I saw I can get the ATI Radeon HD 4670 512 MB version for under $100 aftermarket so that's good, however, I'm willing to spend a bit more.

So with that said, and being the mac virgin that I am, what are my options? I'm pretty sure there's no room for a SLI/Crossfire 2x or 3x setup in the iMac Not to mention upgrading the power supply.

So if someone has any pointers of a site / guide or experience with upgrading Video card and what my options are, that'd be awesome.

Thanks guys and I'm glad to be a MacDaddy finally Now I can never go back!

Product Features:
Intel® Core™2 Duo processor
With 1066MHz frontside bus, 3MB shared L2 cache and 3.06GHz processor speed.
4GB DDR3 SDRAM
For multitasking power, expandable to 16GB.
Slot-loading DVD±RW/CD-RW SuperDrive with double-layer support
Records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video using compatible DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL media.
27" LED-backlit TFT-LCD widescreen display with up to 2560 x 1440 resolution
Features wide 178° horizontal and vertical viewing angles, 375 cd/m² brightness and IPS technology.
1TB Serial ATA hard drive (7200 rpm)
Provides plenty of storage for your data and fast read/write speeds.
ATI Radeon HD 4670 graphics
With 256MB GDDR3 memory for impressive images. Mini DisplayPort output. Supports DVI, VGA and dual-link DVI connections and external DisplayPort sources (requires cables and adapters, not included).
1 FireWire port (800 Mbps) and 4 high-speed USB 2.0 ports
Along with built-in Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR (Enhanced Data Rate) for quick and simple connection of digital peripherals.
Built-in iSight webcam and built-in microphone
For video chatting and Web conferencing.
Built-in stereo speakers with two 17W digital amplifiers
For crisp, clear sound.
Built-in high-speed AirPort Extreme wireless LAN card (802.11a/b/g/n)
Allows you to connect to the Web without cables. Built-in 10/100/1000Base-T Gigabit Ethernet LAN with RJ-45 connector.
Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard operating system preinstalled
Provides a stable platform for word processing, Web navigation, gaming, media storage and more.
Software package included
With iLife '09 (iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, iWeb, GarageBand), iTunes, iChat, Front Row, Photo Booth, Time Machine and more.

-------------

Addition/Edited:
I forgot to mention. Although it's not that essential. I have TWO 24" screens that I'd like to hook up if possible. I know I can hook up 1 external monitor with the standard video card but which video cards that will be supported in my iMac will also have 2 external monitor slots? I'd like to be able to do something different on each monitor so splitting the 1 external VGA won't cut it
QUOTE Thanks
Jamie-Jamie

Jamie-Jamie is a jewel in the roughJamie-Jamie is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS

The iMac's video circuitry is not upgradable. The 256MB card will be just fine for Starcraft 2. The Zerglings will still look like Zerglings at 1280x800 :p
QUOTE Thanks
MacVirgin10

MacVirgin10 is on a distinguished road

Cool, thanks for the response although it wasn't the response I was hoping for hehe but simple enough.

I can still buy and swap-in the 512 MB version I would presume right? No problems there?

And what about a Mac Pro? I'm sure such a beast would have upgrade options for graphics cards right? Not that I have the money for it but it'd be good to know for the future
QUOTE Thanks
Strukt

Strukt will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: rMBP 15" / 2.6GHz / 16GB / 512GB

No you cant upgrade the graphics card on a iMac. Its soldered onto the mainboard. If you want a new card you have to buy a new iMac. Or change the motherboard somehow...

My Blog: Apple Laptops
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strukt View Post
No you cant upgrade the graphics card on a iMac. Its soldered onto the mainboard. If you want a new card you have to buy a new iMac. Or change the motherboard somehow...
Or be an "expert" at removing soldered electronics and soldering a new one in place. I doubt very seriously that any after market board will a)be the proper size, b)have the proper connections and c)be flashed to work with the EFI found in your iMac.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
And what about a Mac Pro? I'm sure such a beast would have upgrade options for graphics cards right? Not that I have the money for it but it'd be good to know for the future
Yep, the Mac Pro is definitely upgradeable. Save your pennies.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

That is the way to go a Mac Pro. Towers are very upgradeable from optical and hard drives, graphics, memory etc all in the twinkling of an eye. These others are simply glossy toys of convenience IMHO.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Strange wireless internet problem | burning in my screen panel »