New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Imac Hard Drive swap issue

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

miniHUEY

miniHUEY is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Intel iMac 2.8ghz

My 2 year old imac recently started dramatically slowing down. Eventually the computer would just show a question mark on the gray start up screen. I put it in target disk mode and determined that the hard drive was failing.

Disk utilities showed internal hard drive as "media"

Well.. seeing how my imac was out of warranty, I decided to replace the HD myself. Easy job. Formatted the drive to GUID and installed leopard.

Now.... the computer goes to the gray screen then a message pops up saying to restart the imac. (Great)

Fearing this was a logic board issue, I put my other computer in target disk mode and boot from the the imac. It works just fine. In fact, im writing this thread from the imac. The hard drive shows up and I am able to put information on it.

I do not understand what the problem is if everything seems to be working. The imac will not do anything with the new hd.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« mac G4 does not chime on start up | iMAC 27; After week 9; Are they well reported now? »