New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

imac won't boot?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

hammermawl

hammermawl is on a distinguished road

Hi, my kids informed me the imac only boots to screen with an apple and spinning wheel. I unplugged and try restarting same problem dusted off the box that has the original OS in it which is brand new and trybooting from he discs it said it could not because of anewer OS when I chose to archive current files etcc.. and re installne OS after 35 miute t tated the disk was no good? I never used them prior to this? I ran a aHWtest and other things were accessible off disk but can not bbot system?

Lost in Connecticut

Andrew
QUOTE Thanks
Chasingu

Chasingu is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Mac Mini (late 2009) with Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.2

Ask your kids if they did anything they usually wouldn't do. They might have installed something that might have broken it.

QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

If you have upgraded to - say Leopard and then use the Tiger disk to try and re install the OS that could give you issues. Try booting off the install disk and after selecting the language, find disk utility in menu drop down and erase the HD and try the install again.
QUOTE Thanks
ImmortalResolve

ImmortalResolve is on a distinguished road

I'm having the same issue, with the exception that on startup I just get a blank screen. Additionally, I can't find the OS disc. I somehow managed to start it properly once and ran its virus protection program, but it didn't detect anything. It's really got me stumped.
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

Quote:
ImmortalResolve
Welcome to the forum. You cannot find the Install Disk and you do not have a back up - Living dangerously it seems.
You could buy a new OS disk and start again. What OS and what hardware do u have - it helps when giving advice to know the parameters.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« FRUSTRATION! streaming video with Mac Mini | Dead with front cover on...ok with it off »