New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Quicksilver G4 upgrades

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

thanksarthur

thanksarthur is on a distinguished road

Hello, I just recently acquired a QS 733 cheaply as a secondary machine. Before now, I haven't done much in the way of hardware upgrades other than RAM and HDDs but I would like to try it on this one so I can maybe use it for more than just MS Office/email. So, a few questions:
1. Low End Mac says the QS will recognize drives larger than 128GB, but MacTracker says it won't. Who is right?

2. Will a QS accept any G4 processor including dual configs? Does this require a new logic board? Will only certain speeds be compatible with the current logic board?

3. The video card currently is the stock GeForce 2 MX with 32MB of VRAM. I found a 64MB card from another QS but would like to know the highest end card that would work with this machine.

Thank you for any help you can offer.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

Will be back with some URL's but here are a few quick answers.

All 2002 QS's will do over 128GB. Some say any QS will. I used to doubt that till I got my 733 QS like yours. I put in a 160GB IDE and all of it is there in OSX. If I put the same drive in say a Digital Audio 667 it's 128GB. So I am pretty sure Low End Mac is correct.

The CPU has to be made to work with that class of machine. You can't put a MDD CPU in that machine, but there are Dual CPU's that will work. Will find a URL for you and post it later.

RAM wise it will take 3 PC133 DIMMS. They have to be PC133. PC100 unless it's a way under speced DIMM, will not work. Each PC133 DIMM can be be up to 512 Megs for a total of 1.5GB.

Only certain video cards with a Mac ROM will work. Some can be flashed on a PC but there has to be code for the Mac available for that to work. I think you can still find ATI Radeon 9800 Pro Mac edition. Will post that URL also. The card has to be AGP. The AGP slot on the QS is AGP 4X.

I have a Digital Audio I maxed out. Not a bad machine. 1.8Ghz G4, 1.5GB RAM, USB 2.0, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro. Very useable system. Cost a lot to upgrade though!

Check OWC (Other World Computing). They probably have everything you want.

http://eshop.macsales.com/MyOWC/Upgr...=Show+Upgrades

That is for CPU's.

They don't seem to have the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro any longer. I would search Ebay.

Here is what they do still sell.

http://eshop.macsales.com/MyOWC/Upgr...=Show+Upgrades
QUOTE Thanks
bigmart01

bigmart01 is on a distinguished road

I have found a dual CPU for my QS which is going to replace the 800mhz single, but I need some info on the cooling.

I am a PC old timer from the 3.1 windows era and just starting into the mac world, so I have a lot of learning ahead of me.
QUOTE Thanks
Jamie-Jamie

Jamie-Jamie is a jewel in the roughJamie-Jamie is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS

I thought of getting a dual 1.0GHz upgrade in my Sawtooth, but... well... it's a Sawtooth. I think it's cheaper to get a 1GHz MDD!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Dead with front cover on...ok with it off | Mobile me re-install »