New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Having problems installing os x on my G4

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Macpunk

Hello

I've just bought a g4 powermac and i have a problem installing os x.
When i boot up with the cd and try to install the OS i'll only get to the part where it says "preparing to install"(i've chosen the partition i want to install on) and then I get a black screen where it says an unsuspected error has occured and that i should prees [Return] to restart.

What could be wrong? I am using original cd's(for an Emac, though)

The G4's specs:

G4 450 mhz
512 mb ram
27,3 bg hd.

Please help.

-Thanx

**EDIT**Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place....
QUOTE Thanks
Macpunk

Someone please help me
QUOTE Thanks
Pattay

Pattay is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.16GHzIC2D/1GB/120 OSX 10.5 , A bunch of other macs, iPod Mini Orig. 4G iPod Video 30Gb

are u sure its a G4 , they made g3's faster than 450 Mhz

my imac is 600Mhz and its G3
QUOTE Thanks
Badger

Install disks are made for specific machines; using disks for a eMac on another model won't work. Also, the disks that come with the computers are not full system install disks. They are made to repair/restore the computer.
You'll need to get a commercial version of X or the disks for the G4 you have.
QUOTE Thanks
Macpunk

Hey, I found out what the problem was....The guy i bought it from had put a lan card(for no obvious reason). I took it out and the installation went fine.

**Pattay**Yes, it is a G4 450 mhz

**Badger**Thats not true. I installed OSX for an Emac on my G4...worked fine enough

Thanx for the help though
QUOTE Thanks
Pattay

Pattay is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.16GHzIC2D/1GB/120 OSX 10.5 , A bunch of other macs, iPod Mini Orig. 4G iPod Video 30Gb

oh ok

good luck with it all
macs rule
QUOTE Thanks
Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macpunk
Hey, I found out what the problem was....The guy i bought it from had put a lan card(for no obvious reason). I took it out and the installation went fine.

**Pattay**Yes, it is a G4 450 mhz

**Badger**Thats not true. I installed OSX for an Emac on my G4...worked fine enough

Thanx for the help though
I'm surprised; Apple has gone to a lot of trouble to create machine-specific disks. Anyway I'm glad you got it done.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Pentium III 1Ghz 512 MB RAM beats new Mac G5 2.7 dual CPU 512 MB RAM | No Signal To Monitor »