New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac Sleep Light

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

WasabiTaylor

WasabiTaylor is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac G5 20", 250gb, 512mb, Airport/Bluetooth, wireless kb+mouse

In my never ending quest to become a switcher by the end of the summer, I spend probably far too much of my time reading throughout many forums and of course the Apple website. Today, I was looking through the iMac section of the site and came across this:

Great ambience
When you put your iMac G5 to sleep, you may become captivated by its pulsating sleep light. But in low-light environments, a sensor detects the room’s ambient light and adjusts the sleep light to match, so you and your iMac G5 can both catch some Zs.

In the forums, I have seen a lot of complaints regarding the sleep light on the Rev. A iMacs. People seemed to even go as far as to put tape over the light because it was so bright in their room that they couldn't sleep. So, my question is is this something new on the Rev. B iMacs, and if so, have any of the Rev. B iMac owners noticed this difference? Because if I get an iMac, I'm going to need to catch some Zs! Thanks...
QUOTE Thanks
flyingpostman

I have a rev. A iMac and the sleep light lights up the whole office in my house. I couldn't imagine sleeping in the same room with it on. The pulsating light is a very neat thing to look at, but adding a sensor to it I don't really understand, it seems to make something that should be simple overly complicated.
QUOTE Thanks
claudius753

claudius753 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz/4 GB/500 GB

I recently got a Rev. B iMac. It does indeed dim when I turn the lights in my bedroom off to go to sleep. I've actually stood there watching it pulsate brighter when I turn the lights on, and then pulsate more dim when I turn the lights off!

As far as being too bright, I haven't had any problem sleeping with the light.
QUOTE Thanks
shaun89

shaun89 will become famous soon enough

why don't you just shut your computer down?? or just put it on a blank black screen saver. if your to lazy to shut it down every night and start it up every morning, then i feel sorry for you
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun89
why don't you just shut your computer down?? or just put it on a blank black screen saver. if your to lazy to shut it down every night and start it up every morning, then i feel sorry for you
It's not a matter of laziness. The idea behind "sleep" mode is that the computer is in a state where it is consuming very little power, yet can be instantly awakened when necessary. This also eliminates excess wear and tear on the HDD from frequent re-booting. I almost never completely shut down either of my Mac's, and it certainly isn't because I'm "too lazy" to do so.

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
alexmaccoll

alexmaccoll is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" intel iMac, 15" MBP, 3 X 13.3" MB (family etc), G4 tower, 12" G4 PowerBook, iBook G4, 20" iMacG5

Too right. Laziness has nothing to do with it. Think of it this way. I'm willing to bet that due to our 'laziness', we won't have to be 'lazy' and upgrade 1 year early...
Alex
QUOTE Thanks
PowerbookG417

if the brightness of the light bothers you, simply difuse the light. i did red and its not as bright as it was before now.

http://homepage.mac.com/cattonm/PhotoAlbum5.html

im sure playing with some colours might result in a darker colour, thats less disturbing
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

If you check in System Update there is now a Sleep Light Update for iMac G5's

The iMac G5 Sleep Light Update adjusts the brightness of your iMac G5 sleep indicator light so it's not as bright during the evening. The daytime brightness remains the same.

This update is installed in Applications > Utilities and should automatically launch. Click Update and follow the onscreen instructions to apply the update.

Note: Once the update has started, do not cancel or interrupt it. The updater takes over one minute to complete. During the update, your computer fans will run at full speed, but will return to normal once the update completes.

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold

Forgot to post back to let you know how it went. The results are fantastic. I sleep on the other side of my room and the Mac didn't even face me but I had to shut it off at night because the light was so bright, now its barely anything

QUOTE Thanks
zer0uk

How do you adjust the times when the light goes into night mode or is it not adjustable?
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

It is not adjustable

QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

You mean the eyeball frying 2000W lighthouse lamp that was stuck into the rev A. iMac? Yeah the update definitely improves that ...
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

It was like a lighthouse beacon beforehand

QUOTE Thanks
pphking

pphking is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iBook 1.33 Ghz, 768 RAM

That's the kind of cool you only get from Apple !!!
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Yeah, you can just imagine Steve going:

"I want it brighter!" - engineer turns up brightness..
"BRIGHTER! It needs to stand out!" - engineer puts on sunglasses and turns up brightness...
"BRIGHTER!!! It needs to blind people with its beauty, push the barriers of convention, be different!" - engineer shields his eyes with a welding hood, turns up brightness and leaves the room, leaving Jobs basking in the halo of light radiating from the iMac...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Multi DVI Out Solution? | Access panel for G5 »