New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMAC G4 or iMAC G5 - which should I buy?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

digitALLSTARS

Im looking to buy an iMac. But I think the G4 iMac looks so much cooler than the iMac G5 and it cost less as its a refurb.

The iMac G5 obviously is a better computer but how much better -

What do you lot think I should do?
QUOTE Thanks
alexmaccoll

alexmaccoll is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" intel iMac, 15" MBP, 3 X 13.3" MB (family etc), G4 tower, 12" G4 PowerBook, iBook G4, 20" iMacG5

What sceensize are you looking at. Also what are you going to be using the machine for (work-wise)
Alex
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

I like the form of the iMac G4 better but I couldn't justify the price. When I was looking to buy a 17in 1ghz+ G4 they would sell on ebay for $800-$900. You could buy a refurb iMac G5 17in model for $899 from Apple at that time, and you still can.
QUOTE Thanks
sevenhelmet

sevenhelmet is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Aluminum Macbook 2.4Ghz; Powermac G5 2.3Ghz dual

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameis
I like the form of the iMac G4 better but I couldn't justify the price. When I was looking to buy a 17in 1ghz+ G4 they would sell on ebay for $800-$900. You could buy a refurb iMac G5 17in model for $899 from Apple at that time, and you still can.
I actually like the G5 modeling better, myself. In terms of computing, you aren't going to get more for your money with any other system, so if you have the cash, I'd say go for the G5 iMac.

"Luck favors the prepared"
QUOTE Thanks
VakeJ

VakeJ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The iMac G5 obviously is a better computer but how much better
That' a good question...
A friend of mine is actually debating the same type of scenario. He was looking at the mac mini, or an imac G5. Does the G5 perform significantly better than a G4?

VJ
QUOTE Thanks
sevenhelmet

sevenhelmet is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Aluminum Macbook 2.4Ghz; Powermac G5 2.3Ghz dual

For G4/G5 comparisons, try these. Benchmart tests of G5 and G4 computers. First one is powermacs, so pay special attention to the models marked SP (single processor) as they will probably be closer to the performance specs of the iMacs you are looking at.

http://www.barefeats.com/g4up.html

For an G4/G5 iMac gaming comparison...

http://www.barefeats.com/imacg5b.html

A numerical comparison of multi-processor G4s and G5s

http://www.barefeats.com/g5sum.html

THIS ONE HAS A DIRECT COMPARISON OF THE G4 and G5 IMACS!

http://www.barefeats.com/imacg5.html

Hope some of these come in handy!

"Luck favors the prepared"
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac G5 RAM in Mac Mini? | Screan Stuff?? »