New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac Monitor issue when displaying BLACK

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

redwolf4k

redwolf4k is on a distinguished road

Hey.

I noticed that my iMac G4 has a small issue displaying the color black. This only happens when the color is actually pure black, with no detail.

When displaying black, I can see individual pixels, in random areas of the black sparkle or twinkle, or light up with different colors.

It happens with the system cold, it happens with the system warm, etc.

It doesnt do this with any other color, or color combo displayed. If the black has any fine detail, it doesnt do it either.

It's really hard to describe but its like a few pixels in a row will light up or sparkle on the black, and then be normal again, randomly and all over.

My guesses would be some sort of damaged video card, or connection. The iMac has a nvidia 5200fx that I believe is built directly into the logic board.
The problem is so small that I can live with it, I am just concerned if this is an early sign of the iMac's death.

Any tips? Info? Anyone heard about or fixed this? Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

The good news is that it's not the video card. The bad news is that it's the LCD starting to have problems controlling the pixels in their open and closed state. Can only recommend you not put solid black on the screen. Once it has permanently stuck pixels, these could be blue, green or red, there are a couple of methods to try on them to get them functioning again. If they are not currently stuck, there really is nothing you can do at this point.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
redwolf4k

redwolf4k is on a distinguished road

Ok, thanks for the information.

Could this stay like this for years? Or should I expect stuck pixels very soon?

I just bought this machine second hand, and although it was very cheap....I am not quite ready to behead the iMac G4 and hook up an external monitor....that takes all the fun out of it. lol..
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MAC PRO problems... | dead pixels after one month?! 21.5" »