New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

8gb ram vs 3.33ghz processor

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mangorio

mangorio is on a distinguished road

Hi guys,
I am currently looking at replacing my 4 year old macbook with a new 21.5' iMac with the ATI Radeon HD 4670 graphics card. Looking at the prices it seems i may have a bit of cash left over so was looking to upgrade it a little further. I was wondering whether it would b worth paying the NZ$390 for the 300mhz processor upgrade and leaving the ram at 4gb, or if it would b more beneficial to upgrade to 8gb ram instead (sticking with the 3.06ghz processor)?

I am intending to mainly use the machine for gaming (especially WoW) however i also do a fair bit of film editing etc (bring back iMovie HD!!). Any thoughts to help me come to a decision would be greatly appreciated.

Also if anyone thinks it would be better to go with a different machine rather than an iMac i am totally open to suggestions.
QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

Honestly, people give way too much credit to excessive amounts of RAM in terms of speeding up their machine. If you want to see a noticeable increase in speed, replace the HD with a 7200 RPM model. You'll get ten times the bang for your buck when it comes to responsiveness and faster load times than you will adding more RAM.
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Totally. This is my opinion of the order of importance in the higher on my list the more noticable improvement you'll see.

1. Upgrade to 7200rpm or Solid State Drive
2. More CPU cores
3. More GPU memory
4. Faster GPU and faster CPU. (GPU for games/3D video editing, CPU for the rest + some games too)
5. More RAM. (Provided you have at least the base amount from Apple installed)

This is just my opinion.
QUOTE Thanks
in00b

in00b will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 17" i7

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
2. More CPU cores
3. More GPU memory
4. Faster GPU and faster CPU. (GPU for games/3D video editing, CPU for the rest + some games too)
BUT , if i wanted to buy the 2x quadcore 2.26 with 16gb of ram you tell me that i should go with the 2x quadcore 2.66 ans 8gb ram ?
thanks
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

Get the fastest processor you can afford at the time. RAM is easier to upgrade later.
QUOTE Thanks
mangorio

mangorio is on a distinguished road

thanks for the fast responses. A few of you mention upgrading to the 7200rpm HD but it is my understanding that the newest iMacs come with these as standard do they not?
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

I think some thought you were needing more speed on the macbook.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Problem with 4TB WD Mybook to Mac mini | iMac G4 Hardrive Crashed »