New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

first gen mac pro -4670 for bootcamp.kernal panic

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

infamybrian

infamybrian is on a distinguished road

Guys when ever i pop in my 4670, specificly for boot camp. I get a kernal panic from the boot up. Many people have said that non efi cards are simply ignored. Is there anything i must do, it DOES run in bootcamp. only,my stock card is a 7300gt..please help me
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Need to know more about the card other than it's a 4670.

I assume this must be a windows firmware based card and not one that specifically states for Mac on the box. If, so the firmware has not been flashed to work in a Mac, in which case I'm surprised you can get it to boot at all.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Yeah...if you're installing a "non-Macintosh" video card into your Mac Pro...that would certainly explain kernel panics.

Just because you're running Windows via bootcamp on a Mac Pro...doesn't mean you can just start "popping" in Windows based hardware. It's still a Macintosh computer...and you still need to use Macintosh compatible hardware.

Unless (like Bobtomay mentioned) if the video card was flashed for a Mac...but even then that doesn't guarantee 100% compatibility.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
infamybrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Need to know more about the card other than it's a 4670.

I assume this must be a windows firmware based card and not one that specifically states for Mac on the box. If, so the firmware has not been flashed to work in a Mac, in which case I'm surprised you can get it to boot at all.
Well osx WILL boot with any card, but won't take advantage of it. I just got my 4670, to boot in osx accompanied by my stock 7300gt. I simply use it for boot camp gaming and blender. If you care to know i deleted the 4600gt kext in safe mode. After that 4600gt booting in the mac pro
QUOTE Thanks
infamybrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Yeah...if you're installing a "non-Macintosh" video card into your Mac Pro...that would certainly explain kernel panics.

Just because you're running Windows via bootcamp on a Mac Pro...doesn't mean you can just start "popping" in Windows based hardware. It's still a Macintosh computer...and you still need to use Macintosh compatible hardware.

Unless (like Bobtomay mentioned) if the video card was flashed for a Mac...but even then that doesn't guarantee 100% compatibility.

- Nick
nick i'm happy to inform you that 4 cards have worked in my mac pro,though it was not recognized , but it booted and showed up as "Display".
Its recognized in boot-camp

So anyway i test this with the 9600gt,4670,8600,8800gt ALL working perfectly.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by infamybrian View Post
nick i'm happy to inform you that 4 cards have worked in my mac pro,though it was not recognized , but it booted and showed up as "Display".
Its recognized in boot-camp

So anyway i test this with the 9600gt,4670,8600,8800gt ALL working perfectly.
Your statement above is sort of confusing. On one hand you say all of these video cards work "perfectly"...but on the other hand you said, "that 4 cards have worked in my mac pro,though it was not recognized.

In any case...how do you explain the kernel panics if it's not from using non-compatible video cards?

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« mac pro and new graphics card (radeon 5450) | Still waiting to buy 27" Imac »