New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Graphics card questions

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Mercedes1787

Mercedes1787 is on a distinguished road

I'm thinking of upgrading my mac to 4 gig (6 gig if the April 2008 model can hold it) and getting a better graphics card, which is better, the Nvidia GeForce 9400m or the best ATI Radeon HD card (what is the best ATI Radeon HD card) I'd use the graphics performance for Gaming and I want the visual settings to be at their highest. So simple, whats better for 3D Gaming Nvidia Geforce 9400m or the best ATI Radeon HD?

24'' Intel iMac, 3.06 GHZ dual core processor, 4 GB ram @ 800mhz, Nvidia 8800 GT graphics card with 512MB of GDDR3 memory, 500 GB Serial ATA hard drive, 6 MB shared L2 cache.
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

I think you'd be good to read this topic where I asked basically the same question.
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M Question.
But I'll summarise it for you.

Nvidia GeForce 9400m = Graphics card which shares memory wirh main memory. Great for most tasks. But does not render 3D well at all. So stuff like 3D games it will not do so well. Mind you I'm talking the best of 3D games.

ATI Radeon HD 4670 = Graphics card with it's own memory and does not share with the main memory. Can render 3D very well. Good for cutting edge 3D games. And the optional better ATI card is the same only a little better.

Which one to get? The first one unless you want to play a lot of 3D games and 3D video editing. In that case get the dedicated graphcs card (The ATI)
QUOTE Thanks
Mercedes1787

what about the ATI Radeon HD 5970? is that better than the 4670 for 3D gaming, and what's with sharing memory?

24'' Intel iMac, 3.06 GHZ dual core processor, 4 GB ram @ 800mhz, Nvidia 8800 GT graphics card with 512MB of GDDR3 memory, 500 GB Serial ATA hard drive, 6 MB shared L2 cache.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

Unless you intend on buying a new Mac with the desired graphics card you mentioned, there is no way possible to upgrade your current iMac. An iMac is actually a large notebook computer built vertically and can not be upgraded other than the hard drive and memory.

The graphics chipset is integrated within the main board (logic board) and is actually surface mounted to it. Even though the GPU in your iMac uses discrete memory separate from system memory, there is no way to change it out for a newer and better chipset.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
Mercedes1787

My graphics card isn't integrated, mines the April 2008 Model, all the ones after that are integrated (I think)

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercedes1787 View Post
My graphics card isn't integrated, mines the April 2008 Model, all the ones after that are integrated (I think)
All the models before it as well!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Mercedes1787

Is the ATI Radeon HD 5970 compatible with the 2008 intel aluminum iMac (8,1)
If not, where can I get some reliable drivers for it to work with my mac.

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercedes1787 View Post
I don't think you understood what I wrote to you, so let me be more clear:

Your graphics chipset is integrated within the main logic board. In other words it's not a separate entity or circuit card. By integrated, it means it's soldered to the board - as I mentioned to you before - surface mounted. Therefore, there is no way to change it out to a newer graphics chipset.

Yes, your graphics chipset has its own memory and does not use memory from the main system memory, however, it's still soldered down to the main board. In other words, what you have is what you have unless you purchase another machine.

The only Intel Mac that can accept a new graphics card is the Mac Pro.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
Mercedes1787

man thats tight, the shop owner said the graphics card wasn't integrated, little...
Can you order any 27" iMacs with an ATI Radeon 5970 in it?

QUOTE Thanks
rippingviper

rippingviper is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini

No. Go to apples website and customize one, you'll find you won't get that graphics card in it. 4850 is what you get.

Show some Love give Reputation Reputation FAQ
QUOTE Thanks
Mercedes1787

man the 4850 is good, but I want more power(5970), I probably wont get a new iMac till the make one with a graphics card which I can swap.

QUOTE Thanks
rippingviper

rippingviper is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini

I doubt you'll ever be able to swap out a video card in an imac. as said previously, an imac is a laptop built vertically with a big screen. all the parts inside are mobile parts. If you want inter-changability you need a mac pro not an imac.

Show some Love give Reputation Reputation FAQ
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

If what you want is a top notch gaming rig, I'd suggest you quit looking at Macs to begin with and build your own Windows system like the rest of us.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Mercedes1787

what do you mean by "Build your own" I know about hardware in comps but not allot.

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

I mean buy a case, motherboard, RAM, video card, sound card (if you need better than the integrated one), hard drive, power supply, optical drive or two, a copy of Windows and build your own rig to the specifications you want.

That $3.5k - $4k Alienware rig you've been drooling over can be built for about $2k if you do it yourself.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« PHP and Seamonkey | Mac Pro Quad-Core Freezes »