New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac 21.5 shows lots of horizontal lines when watching Youtube videos.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mikkel083

mikkel083 is on a distinguished road

Hello,

I just bought a 21.5" iMac two weeks ago and i am very satisfied with it.
But i got some sireus issues when i'm watching Youtube video's.

For example if i watch this video:

YouTube - Rise Against - Savior (Performance Version)

It shows all kind of horizontal lines this is something in Windows i never had problems with.

This is an example created with Photoshop because when i pause the video it doesn't show the lines

Thanks in advance,
QUOTE Thanks
mikkel083

I'm using Firefox btw.
QUOTE Thanks
mikkel083

Can someone else watch the video and see if it has horizontal lines in it, i really want to know how to fix it , i hope it is the video.

Plz respond.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

Does it have the lines through the whole video? I will fire up my intel mac and double check, but no lines here in both latest firefox and Safari on Power PC Mac.

Which OSX? 10.6? All updates installed?

Also do all You Tube videos do the same thing??
QUOTE Thanks
mikkel083

Hey,

Yes i have all updates installed and the same problem on all youtube files.
The lines also are visable in the video only not outside the video.
I have read on the internet that mac has weaker flash preformance than windows could that be the problem?

Thanks for the quick response, really appreciate it for testing it.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

The so called weaker Flash performance is Adobe's Flash plugin for OSX is poorly designed. I have no issues with any flash video though even on a first generation Mac Mini with 10.6.2. That is not your issue.

One more quick question. Are you running the videos full screen or the normal You Tube Window? Do the lines appear in the smaller window also or just full screen?
QUOTE Thanks
Mac Masta

Mac Masta is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5 inch nvidia 6gb ram, 13 in MacBook pro 320gb 4 gb ram, iPad 16 gb 3G, iPhone 4 Verizon 16g

No lines here. Let's hope it's not somehow a hardware problem.
QUOTE Thanks
mikkel083

The lines run both full screen and windowed.
Just checked out a video on my Windows PC and on my Mac.

YouTube - Sonos

From 5.00 to 5.36 it shows lots of lines troughout the video.
I know its a crappy video but i was just browsing trough youtube and noticed it.

Please check it out, it isn't very big lines but you can see them sometimes.

I run the 9400M chip.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Watched the whole video. Changed the res from 360p to 720p. Not one line. Full Screen, Window. Mac Mini 2.16C2D 2GB Ram.
QUOTE Thanks
mikkel083

Im gonna try to record it and see if i can look what goes wrong.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Have you tried it in Safari? Do you get the same lines?
QUOTE Thanks
mikkel083

I don't see it in Safari ( yet ) when i try to record it with iShowU i can record the lines but when i play the video the lines are gone .... strange.
Another thing that needs to be mentioned is that we live in an very old house with an very out-date power system can this als be a part of the problem??

Thanks for the quick responses and trying to help, thumbs up !

Thanks in advance,
QUOTE Thanks
mikkel083

Just watched the Rise Against video with Firefox and saw the lines again, watched it with Safari and it was ok.
QUOTE Thanks
mikkel083

Gonna get some sleep, just got out of amsterdam from yesterday at a Lamb of God / August Burns Red gig.

Thanks everybody!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 17" white iMac (late 2006) HDD replacement -- Urgent | What is the best Webcam for Mac? »