Berkshire, England
    iMac audio input problem

Just tried to tune my guitar in GarageBand and it wouldn't "hear" it using the usb lead I have used before. Bit odd.. Anyway, I've done some digging and I can't get any audio into the machine via that USB lead, or via the internal microphone. Oddly if I hit the end of the lead it registers as feedback so something works.

However the microphone won't record anything (tried in Quicktime and Audacity (after selecting internal mic in the prefs))

Now.. I had Soundflower installed a while ago to record streamed audio. I have now uninstalled that and rebooted and still nothing.

In the sound preferences for instal mic nothing seems to register on the input level, unless I move the input volume around and then the level just flashes randomly at different levels like it is hearing something but it obviously isn't.

I'm really not sure what the problem is. Any thoughts, or anything you think I could do to isolate the issue? The fact that it is all audio input (guitar and mic) makes me think its not a hardware problem per se, but something that's wrong with the software controlling the inputs - hence my query on Soundflower..

iMac and latest version of OSX 10.6.2

27" quad core metal iMac and a metal macbook and a plastic terrabyte time capsule and a 32GB iPod Touch 3rd gen and a nano somewhere and a classic ipod in the car and one of the ickle shuffle things, and an iPhone4.

Berkshire, England
    I've added a comment to what may be a soundflower issue. However the OP resolved theirs by uninstalled Soundflower - I did and nada so not sure how to fix this.
    Issue 51 - soundflower - Soundflower does not work with mac os 10.6.2 and ishowu v1.75 - Project Hosting on Google Code

Thread Information