Dual 1.8Ghz G5 - Dead Processor?
    Hoping some people might be able to shed some light on on an issue I'm having.

I have a g5, dual 1.8's - and last night the computer started acting flaky all of a sudden. I go to check temps and low and behold there is only one processor showing up. So I run a backup and turn off the machine. I came back home tonight from work and it wouldn't even start.

I opened it up, dusted it out real well, then tried again. Same thing happened, although I noticed it seemed to start up, just with bad video. The card was a 256mb ati card, and I then proceeded to replace it with the 64mb card I got with the machine. Powered it up, booted right up, and wow it showed both cpus!

About 10 minutes later it froze. Powered down, then back on a bit later. Booted up but is showing 1 cpu again.

Anyone have any idea what is going on? Is the cpu dead? Possibly a heatsink or thermal compound problem? The fact that it saw the cpu for a second time makes me think the cpu isn't exactly dead. Like I said, dual 1.8's 4GB ram, two hard drives.

I'm open to all suggestions, though buying a new machine is out of the question for me at the moment, even if they are only $300-400. I'm pretty much working a dead end job and going to school full time so money is a bit tight. (computer graphics tech. student so this computer is important to me) I do have access to two more g5 cpus though. 1.8ghz, not sure what version. The computer seems to run stable on one processor at the moment. I'm not going to be doing much strenuous activity on it for the time being.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and take care.

Specs:
    iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.5
    Got the original system install discs that came with the machine? Pop in disc one and run Apple Hardware Test in the extended format and see what is reported.

Unfortunately I didn't get any of the install CD's, only a fresh copy of the OSX. My buddy said he had a program that I could do similar tests with so I'll try to grab that from him when I can.

Specs:
    iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.5
    Be aware if his Mac is a different model, in all probability you will not be able to boot from his discs.

Thread Information