New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

27-inch and graphics card compatibility

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

izzo035

izzo035 is on a distinguished road

I will be placing an order for a 27-inch iMac within the week, and I just had a quick question about comparability. I want to upgrade the graphics card, but I'm not sure which cards are all compatible with the iMac. Does anybody happen to have a list of these?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

The graphics card is not upgradeable in an iMac. You'll need to buy the machine that has the card you want out of the choices available.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
izzo035

I was told by a tech (or something like that) from Apple that it can be upgraded. The graphics card just wouldn't be covered under warranty..
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Not in the iMac, they're soldered to the logic board. The only Mac that can have its graphics card updated is the Mac Pro.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
izzo035

Thanks then.

*sigh* I was hoping to get a better graphics card in there.

I guess I have another question then. I plan on hooking up my PS3 to the iMac, using the Atlona AT-DP400, using the iMac as a TV. Would the Radeon 4670 run this fine without lag, or should I get the 4850?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzo035 View Post
I was told by a tech (or something like that) from Apple that it can be upgraded. The graphics card just wouldn't be covered under warranty..
Maybe there was some confusion regarding the upgrading question between you and the Apple tech. person. You can upgrade the video card in a 27" iMac...but only at the time of ordering it.

For example...if you were purchasing the 27" core 2 duo iMac...you can upgrade the video card from the Radeon 4670 to the Radeon 4850.

But like already mentioned...once you place your order & get it home...the iMac video card cannot be upgraded.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

For that purpose it should not matter.

I don't even think the video card comes into play while using the iMac only as an external monitor for another device. Even if it does, neither one of those cards should have any issue with 720p (highest you'll be able to use with the PS3) quite handily. The work is being done by the processor and graphics card of the PS3, not the monitor.

QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future

Why do you think 720p is the highest resolution? The monitor is more than capable of 1080p. Or is it a technical limitation on the input port?

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Must be a limitation of the input port. Have not seen anything from Apple listing the input capabilities. The tech specs of the Atlona device the op is linking to says the iMac does not accept 1080i or p as in input resolution and 720p must be used for both the Xbox and PS3. I'm "assuming" Atlona got it right.

This is the first device I've actually seen "on the market" that can make use of this port on the iMacs.
And they're raping 'em too - $200 to convert from DVI to mini-display port.
I guess it's cheaper than another monitor though.

QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Why couldn't you just use something like this instead?

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
izzo035

Because that only works one way Mini-Display -> HDMI.
The Mac's don't natively support HDMI input, so you need a cable like the one I'm getting, that converts the signal.

EDIT: Ohh, and thanks for the help everybody. I appreciate it.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Because it's a one way adapter. It won't convert the opposite way, HDMI to mini-display port.

There have been 3 or 4 manufacturers saying they'd have an adapter out this spring. This Atlona is just the first one I've seen come to reality. Have not heard anything from monoprice about them coming out with one, so the rip off specialty manufacturers may get the money they're asking.

QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Ohh, that explains it. $200 for a converter is a ripoff, totally lame.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Speakers not working | iMac vs Mac Pro for video editing »