New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Just got a PowerPC and I have a few questions.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

BigHE

BigHE is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerPC G5 2.0GHZ Dual 4g RAM

Hello. I just got a used PowerPC G5 Dual Core 2.0GHZ with 4 GB RAM. It has OSX 10.4.11. I really don't know much about Macs I've been looking at them for a while trying to decide if I should make the move. I use Pro Tools LE 8.0 on my PC set up and don't really run into any issues until I get up to like 17 tracks or so with Plugins. My PC only has 2 gigs of RAM, so I figured before I spent close to 3 grand on an iMac I'd check out this G5 to see if I even like the work flow. It only cost me $400 so what's the risk.

The fist thing I noticed is, I cannot use Pro Tools 8.0 because it is not OSX 10.5. Not a big deal. I called BestBuy and was told just update it to 10.6 (Snow Leopard). I went and bought the disc and NOPE! It wouldn't work because the machine is not Intel based.

Still not a big deal I just loaded my Pro Tools LE 7.4 and all is good.

Now, to run Pro Tools 8.0, I need OSX 10.5. Now I found OSX 10.5 but for some reason it is $185 verses $30 for Snow Leopard. Am I missing something there. Why is the older so much more expensive? Will Leopard work on a non-Intel based Power PC?

Next, I wanted to get a wireless keyboard and mouse instead of the wired one it came with. While in line a BestBuy, I noticed that the wireless keyboard and the Magic Mouse both say for OSX 10.5. In my PC world I wouldn't have let that bother me, because I can normally get things to work. Besides, most Windows stuff will work on machines all the way back to 2000 or so.

That does not appear to be the case with Macs. Am I right?

So far the speed of the machine is fine, but can I no longer get accessories for it?

Thanks for reading such a long post.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

No you are missing nothing that is the price to encourage us all not top drug our feet shuffling over to Intel, which I for one shall not be doing. Just buy the Leopard disc and you will be fine.

Or stay with your pc world. Simple.
QUOTE Thanks
BigHE

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Or stay with your pc world. Simple.
LOL. That might have come out wrong. I didn't offend you did I? That was not my intention. I say that out of habit, because I'm not giving up my PC but I will add a Mac if I like it. I just need to keep things in order in my head. In PC world "Ctrl" and "Start/Windows" button. In Mac world "Command" and "Apple". My kids will ask how to do something and I need to know in what world there are dealing. Thanks for the reply.
QUOTE Thanks
BigHE

I just read in another post that some OX 10.5 applications will work with OS 10.4.11. Does anyone know ith the wireless keyboard and mouse will work? Anyone using them with Tiger 4.11?

Also, it seems like I need to get the G5 out of the corner and try to get as much air as possible to it. It seems like I am reading about some cooling issues.

If I put in on the floor in the open that seems better, but is the carpet an issue with the heat?
QUOTE Thanks
iZach

iZach is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac, 3.06GHz duo, 4GB RAM, 500GB Hard Drive, NVIDIA 9400M| 8GB iPod Touch

Unless there's bluetooth in the g5, the wireless keyboard/magic mouse won't work. but if there's a bluetooth symbol in the menu bar, the machine has bluetooth components and you should be good to go.

How do you like them Apples?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

No you did not offend me and it was a serious suggestion.

Some folk have troubles accepting the differences between pc and macs but I use both a Mac and a Dell Latitude. Wireless keyboard and mouse sure worked for me when in Tiger. Be aware you do need a Bluetooth/Airport wireless combo card in Dual Cores and they are rare and dear. Purchased mine from LA and had local Down Under Mac dealer install all up about $350.00 all up.

If you do not wish to spend that much at this stage the KB and mouse will work with a USB2 D-Link 120 dongle.

Suggest you open the G5 up, remove air vent and fan and give it a good clean out as they are real dust accumulators. Carpet will be no problem apart from dust. Built a 10" high box for mine to stand on and have had no problems whatsoever.

Here is a G5 Dual Core manual. Make sure you actually have a Dual Core, they use DDR2 memory and have PCIE graphics and slots:-

http://support.apple.com/manuals/#late%202005%20manual
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHE View Post
Now I found OSX 10.5 but for some reason it is $185 verses $30 for Snow Leopard. Am I missing something there. Why is the older so much more expensive? Will Leopard work on a non-Intel based Power PC?
Snow Leopard is more of an updated version of Leopard hence the name Snow Leopard. Major OS upgrades have always been named a different animal. Usually major OS upgrades are around $129 and originally the $29 Snow Leopard was suppose to be only for people who had 10.5 Leopard already installed so it was more of an upgrade pricing versus full version retail pricing but Apple later officially stated that everyone was able to upgrade to Snow Leopard with the $29 version. Apple does seem to want everyone to upgrade to Snow Leopard which is why they decided to stay with the $29 pricing. I doubt they will keep this price for the new major OS update which is 10.7 (don't know the animal name ) but one can hope.

Quote:
Next, I wanted to get a wireless keyboard and mouse instead of the wired one it came with. While in line a BestBuy, I noticed that the wireless keyboard and the Magic Mouse both say for OSX 10.5.
I don't have either so I can't really say, but I believe part of that is because the older Macs didn't have Bluetooth. All the new Macs have Bluetooth now.

Quote:
So far the speed of the machine is fine, but can I no longer get accessories for it?
You can still get accessories. The Bluetooth problem is a little more unique. My old backup PowerBook laptop which is about 6 years old can still use a lot of accessories. The hardware manufacturer just needs to provide the software drivers for your current OS. Some manufacturers are better about it than others.

Quote:
Thanks for reading such a long post.
I'm tired now...I think I need a break. Welcome to the forums by the way...
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Leopard Retail is $129. If someone is selling it for $185 they are ripping you off. Look on E-Bay or Craigs List and you will find it for less than $100 (Leopard will work fine on your machine and you can update to 10.5.8). The $29 Snow Leopard disc is simply an upgrade disc NOT a full system installation disc. Intel users have to have loaded 10.5 and then purchased 10.6 to get there OR just bought a new machine with 10.6. Upgrade tp 10.5 and the wireless keyboard and mouse will work fine, as will pretty much all other accessories. If it says 10.5, it needs 10.5.

Oh, and STOP calling Best Buy for anything. Their Mac service absolutely blows and they are about as clueless about them as a dead houseplant. Find a knowledgeable Mac dealer in your area, go to an Apple store or ask here. Using the words "Best Buy" in any reasonable Mac discussion will get you laughed off the board.

QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
The $29 Snow Leopard disc is simply an upgrade disc NOT a full system installation disc.
Actually it's been reported that the $29 doesn't need Leopard as stated by Macworld and other sources: Installing Snow Leopard: What you need to know | Mac OS X | Macworld (at the bottom where it says Two Versions)

I was wrong that Apple officially stated it was possible but they have not taken any steps to stop it.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

I'd be interested to try that before I believe it....

QUOTE Thanks
BigHE

Got it! No more BestBuy! I did see a Bluetooth Icon when I was exploring in the folders. I also saw this on the back of my machine:

What are the top two for? Antennas?
How can I tell what year my machine was manufactured?

Thanks for the link to the manual. I will spend my weekend getting better acquainted.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

The very top plug is for Airport (WiFi Antenna) and the one under it is Bluetooth. That does not mean either are installed in your machine. In OSX do you see a Airport and/or Bluetooth icon by the clock up top?

Those antennas usually shipped with the PowerMac G5 and looked like a T sticking out of the back of the machine.

If you click on the Apple in the Top Left corner of the screen and on About This Mac. Then click on More Info. Look for Bluetooth. What does it say there?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
What are the top two for? Antennas?
How can I tell what year my machine was manufactured?
Like "dtravis7" mentioned...the top most port is for the Airport antenna. Without the Airport antenna you will get very poor or no Airport reception. So if you have no Airport antenna...no wireless networking. Of course the ethernet port will work just fine.

Here's what the airport antenna for a Powermac G5 looks like:

They seem to sell in the $20-$30 dollar range. if you need one...maybe you'll get lucky & find one for less!

Hope this helps,

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Pigoo. Thanks for those pics. I was about to look for one and now do not have to.

To the OP please check where I said above and report back.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Pigoo. Thanks for those pics. I was about to look for one and now do not have to.
No problemo!

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« all about imac | iMac Backgrounds »