New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

back up one hard drive to another

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bajagirl1

bajagirl1 is on a distinguished road

Having not been a mac user for long I now have a 1.5 WD external hard drive working on my Mac os 10.5.8 I took a smaller hard drive (external) off but am unsure how to dump the info from the hard drive I replaced to the new one?
Thanks, Donna
QUOTE Thanks
Daniel_Upton

Daniel_Upton is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" White MacBook 2ghz 4GB DDR2 Ram 320Gb HDD, 16GB iPhone, Craving a mac pro!

Hey bajagirl1,
Let me get a grip of what your asking..

Are you saying that you had a harddrive in your mac which you have now replaced with a larger one..

And you would like to grab all the information from that drive for use with the new drive?

There are a couple of ways to do this..

Your easiest option would have been while the drive was in the mac as the primary drive to use a 10.5 feature called "time machine" to create a backup of your files (everything apart from the operating system) to an external drive and then to use this backup to restore your computer to its original state after reinstallation..

However i am guessing this is now not an option as you have made a transition.. your other option would be to manually reinstall your applications and copy and paste your files over,

Some people also talk about using an application to clone your drive, but depending on how important your stuff is

Hope that was some vague help..
Gimmie a shout back!

Daniel,

BTW what kinda mac do you have?
QUOTE Thanks
bajagirl1

bajagirl1 is on a distinguished road

Daniel, I have an OS X about two years old desktop. No sure how you mean create backup of old portable hard drive. Don't suppose it it possible to just hook up the old
hard drive until I see it on the desktop than grab it and slide it to the new hard
drive? You know like grabbing pictures and throwing them into Iphoto?
Tks, Donna
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Donna:

Your best bet is to use software which can clone the contents of your current hard drive to the new one and at the same time render the new drive bootable. That way, all you would have to do is swap the drives and you'll be up and running in no time. I recommend downloading and using "Carbon
Copy Cloner". It's donation ware which means it's free but the author requests you to send him a donation if you use and like his software.

Here's the download LINK.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Repair an MDD PSU | imac connect wirelessly to tv to act as media centre »