New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Imac 17" Distorted monitor color

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

robertjbonini

robertjbonini is on a distinguished road

Monitor has distorted colors; fuzzy almost a posterized effect. This just happened today on start up. Restarted no different. Started holding command option p and r. no difference. When i changed user it is fine on other user name. ?? thanks
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

You likely have one or more corrupted settings that are causing the problem. Might even be from a specific program. Are you running the same programs and settings for the "user" you switched to? Finding the cause might mean removing and reinstalling programs. It may just be easier to remove the user profile where you're experiencing the problem.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
robertjbonini

robertjbonini is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info. The user that is the problem is the one that has ALL my important documents and information. How do i get all that info over to the new user? Also the original user has full access privileges. When I try and open documents from the new user finder, I get a window: The folder could not be opened because I don't have sufficient access privileges. Thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Moving programs, info, files, data, and associated permissions from one user to another is a manual process. It can be tedious and may even require you to reinstall some programs again. Certain programs (MS Office for one) have files and folders scattered about and are difficult to move without a reinstall.

If possible, - and if you've been making regular backups with Time Machine - try recovering from a backup first. If you haven't been making backups, you've got to decide on either a reinstall or manually moving all your user info to the new user. You will also have to assign the new user "admin permissions".

See the following Apple discussion thread for which files have to be moved:

LINK

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Need comparison advice, dual vs quad mac pro | iMac running very slow on start up »