New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

2nd Screen Won't Register @ Startup

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mobilevulgus

mobilevulgus is on a distinguished road

OK, anyone have this problem?

I have an iMac running version 10.6.2 with a 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4gigs, 1067 MHz DDR3 blah, blah, blah...

I have a second screen hooked up as I do a lot of graphics stuff and use 2 monitors in my work flow.

OK, that all being said here's the problem...

EVERY time, and I mean every time, I start the machine it will not register the second screen. To get the second screen to be seen by the iMac I have to unplug the screen from the jack behind the computer and plug it right back in. Then and only then will the iMac recognize the second screen.

Is there any way I can get this darn computer to recognize that a second screen is present without unplugging it and re-plugging it to the back of the iMac??

Anyone... Bueller, Bueller?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

Have you tried keeping the external monitor off until your iMac boots to the desktop and then turn it on?

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Both on 10.9.2 ~ iPhone5 iOS 7.1 ~ iPad Mini 7.1 ~ ATV2 6.0.1

Has this problem only just occurred ??
Like at one stage it worked and now every time you hook up it doesnt ??
Have you gone into System Preferences>Displays ??

I havnt got my second hooked up ATM to show you the other Preference window but you need to detect displays.
When its done on the other window i cant show it has the option of making your OS appear on either screen.
Once the Display icon is sitting in your menu bar you can mirror or not.
I only mentioned all this BC in your 1st post you havnt told us if you have played in System Preferences

Cheers

Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
"Can't innovate any more, my ***" Phil Schiller
QUOTE Thanks
mobilevulgus

mobilevulgus is on a distinguished road

Thanks to both of you. I'll try both suggestions.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac WiFi dropping signal | CD stuck in drive »