New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac 27" i5 Flickering Dilema

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Thread Tools

Member Since: Dec 29, 2009
Location: London
Posts: 15
C-The_Jackal is on a distinguished road

C-The_Jackal is offline
Hey there,

On the 31st of Jan i went out and bought a 27" Core i5 iMac. All was great until about 7 days later when i started getting intermittent flickering at the top of my screen. It's not regular enough to film it and i'm still within my 14 day exchange period. But i have a dilema: AppleCare told me i can get a repair, or get an exchange. Of course, I understand that i could get one that is just as bad, if not worse as an exchange - but in contrast it could take ages to repair, i get the machine back and the problem's not been fixed, they merely 'think' they fixed it. The AppleCare rep said that repairing it would consist of a replacement screen but it's not even known whether it is the screen that's causing the problem. In other words, should i get an exchange for a brand new one now before my 14 days is up, or should i get it repaired and quite frankly, run a high risk of achieving nothing? If i could get a refund without losing 10% of it's value i'd get a refund and wait to be honest but that doesn't seem to be viable
QUOTE Thanks

ZorroAMG's Avatar
Member Since: Oct 23, 2005
Location: Vancouver Canada
Posts: 522
ZorroAMG is a jewel in the roughZorroAMG is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: | '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |

ZorroAMG is offline
Well, they've been releasing firmware updates to alleviate the flickering issues, so my guess is that it's not a hardware thing. I'd return it for an exchange and see how it goes.

Sucks that you are having those issues

QUOTE Thanks

McYukon's Avatar
Member Since: May 14, 2009
Location: Near Whitehorse, Yukon
Posts: 2,053
McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

McYukon is offline
Have you installed the lasted 27-inch iMac Display Firmware Update 1.0?
27-inch iMac Display Firmware Update 1.0
Apple Inc
"The 27-inch iMac Graphics Firmware Update applies to the graphics firmware on ATI Radeon HD 4670 and 4850 graphics cards to address issues that may cause image corruption or the display to flicker,"
As for me, if its free, I'd get a new machine and hope that it doesn't have the same problem.

Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.
QUOTE Thanks

Member Since: Dec 29, 2009
Location: London
Posts: 15
C-The_Jackal is on a distinguished road

C-The_Jackal is offline
True, i have nothing to lose plus i get another 14 days. As it stands i can't really 'prove' that my iMac is having the flickering issue because it's happening rarely (as in each night but there's no way of filming it because it happens randomly and by the time i've got my iphone ready to record the flickering is over), but even if it does only last for 1/4 of a second and it only does it 4 times per night at most, i haven't paid £1,500 for that. I'm able to live with it but i shouldn't have to hence why i'm wanting an exchange etc. I also forgot to mention that i obviously do have the two firmware updates installed too. I have nothing to lose by getting a new machine i guess
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac G5 Boot problems | how can i get imac 24' BOX? »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Starter
Last Post
Looking for some advice on the 27" iMac and Photoshop CS4 and Lightroom 2 (maybe) ymin Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography 9 02-03-2010 10:14 PM
Buying an iMac 27", couple questions IanB Apple Desktops 7 01-24-2010 02:56 PM
27" iMac output to HDTV - Best Way?! junkmail202 Apple Desktops 0 12-06-2009 07:19 PM
Apple Pulls Plug on Original iMac schweb Apple Rumors and Reports 7 09-13-2006 04:38 PM
The New iMac (merged) EDIT-XTREEM Apple Desktops 7 07-21-2006 04:29 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:42 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Welcome to

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!

(4 digit year)

Already a member?