moving HD from powermac G5 duo to quad
    Hello Folks,

cot a chance to buy a power mac g5 quad for a good price however the computer isnt booting because there is no hardrive. I currently own a powermac g5 duo and was wondering if i could take the hd that i currently have working with my g5 duo(still running tiger osx10.4) to the quad g5 to test it. I dont think it would be a problem. I should be able to get it to boot and test it. I am new to MAcs. Thanks for the help

Specs:
    MacMini 4.1, OS 10.11 and 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.11, MacBook 4.1, OS 10.6.8
    Welcome to Mac-Forums!

Agreed, you should be able to transfer the hard drive across from your working G5, but I'm puzzled about the "G5 Quad". I can find no reference to such a machine. Mactracker's data shows that all G5's had single or dual processors only. Do you know the specs of the G5 you've just bought?
    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

Specs:
    MBP - 15in, 2.66ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GPU, 320gb HDD
    Quote Originally Posted by hughvane View Post
    Welcome to Mac-Forums!

Agreed, you should be able to transfer the hard drive across from your working G5, but I'm puzzled about the "G5 Quad". I can find no reference to such a machine. Mactracker's data shows that all G5's had single or dual processors only. Do you know the specs of the G5 you've just bought?
    Apple Power Mac G5 Specs (All Power Macintosh G5 Technical Specs) @ EveryMac.com

Quote Originally Posted by ravipedrosa
    Hello Folks,

cot a chance to buy a power mac g5 quad for a good price however the computer isnt booting because there is no hardrive. I currently own a powermac g5 duo and was wondering if i could take the hd that i currently have working with my g5 duo(still running tiger osx10.4) to the quad g5 to test it. I dont think it would be a problem. I should be able to get it to boot and test it. I am new to MAcs. Thanks for the help
    Yes you can swap hard drives, however most new macs come with computer specific os x so that os x can use resources most efficiently with the hardware. What this means is you may have some incompatibilities or sluggishness.. or it may not.

thanks for the quick response guys! here is the specs of the quad .The computer is a 2.5 quad with 4.5gb of ram, superdrive, airport bluetooth, 512mb video card im pretty sure, model number A1117

Specs:
    MacMini 4.1, OS 10.11 and 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.11, MacBook 4.1, OS 10.6.8
    Thanks for the info, it's all in the arithmetic, ie. two duals makes a quad.
    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

Specs:
    Imac 27" Retina 5K, 512GB flash memory, 3.3GHz, 16GB memory, macOS Sierra beta.
    The 2.5GHz Dual Cores are known as Quads and the HDD will work just fine.

Thread Information