New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

upgrading HDD on imac G3

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sijo

sijo is on a distinguished road

Hello all,
Got my first ever mac , an imac G3 700MHZ,
previous owner upgraded ram to 512,
i was thinking of upgrading HDD from 60 GB to say perhaps 500GB,
do i then also need to upgrade processor and also upgrade ram to 1GB,
or would i be as well to add an external HD through firewire or USB ???
many thanks in advance
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

That's a nice iMac you got there...the 700mhz was the fastest version in the G3 iMac series!

Some info for you:

- you're limited to a maximum of 128 megabyte hard drive...so no 500 gig....sorry.
- you cannot upgrade the processor on an iMac.
- you can attach an external hard drive.
- max ram is 1 gig as you mentioned.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

I would leave the boot drive alone. If you change it you lose the firmware and would have to put it back on the clean drive. This means original OS boot disc and starting with OS 9.2.2 and updating the boot rom to 4.1.9 in order to install OS 10. Just use a large external for your storage and save yourself a lot of pain.
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

And a firewire, or combo fw/usb external drive at that - to answer your question . I agree with MacSK, if the present internal drive is functioning normally, leave it be.

That iMac was the last of the G3 line, the 700 MHz is relatively rare (at least here in NZ). By all means take the RAM further to 1 Gb (2 x 512), the iMac will run really well with that, especially if you're operating OS X. Be careful to get the right sort of RAM, not the cheap high density PC modules.

Tiger is the last OS for the G3 iMac, but personally I'd stay with Panther, just my preference, having tried both with my G3 600.

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.
QUOTE Thanks
sijo

sijo is on a distinguished road

Hello all, Thanks for the replies,

Have decided to go ahead with upgrading the ram and using an external HDD
any recommendations on the external HDD and will i have to use mac specific ram chips,
thanks, simon
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

External HD - go for the better-known brands like Hitachi, Seagate, or Western Digital - and read reviews of them! You'll get lots of opinions here, independent reviews are better.

RAM - the best place for Mac-friendly components has to be OWC Performance Upgrades; FireWire USB SATA Storage; Memory, more at OWC. I know, there's newegg and craigslist in the US, and they're cheaper, but even from way out here in NZ, I buy from OWC. I know I'll get the right stuff from them.

You should also consider getting the hard drive enclosure from OWC, with or without the hard drive included. Enclosures with the Oxford chipset are better with Mac, but you'll pay more.

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Don't buy the modules from a PC shop as PC memory is normally high density and your iMac uses dearer low density modules. Do as hughvane suggests.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Best Multimedia Designer Setup? | Horizontal lines on iMac G5 »