New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac Vs PowerMac???

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

SonicIndustries

SonicIndustries is an unknown at this point

Hello to all,

I am looking for some opinion and advise before purchasing one or the other.
Either the iMac or PowerMac.

I'm new to apple machines, i do not currently own one but I am planning to make the switch and treat myself to a iMac or PowerMac in the next few weeks. Before i make that decision I thought it prudent to take gather some opinion from the people in the know, users and enthusiasts aka anybody reading this thread.

Regarding the PowerMac option, obviosly there is a price difference, If I go for a medium spec PowerMac is it possible to upgrade the components at a later date? Or would it be better to postpone my purchase and buy a higher spec machine at a date?

Look forward to hearing your thoughts...

Thank you...
QUOTE Thanks
martyp

martyp is a jewel in the roughmartyp is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 15" Retina, iPhone 6 128Gb, iPad Air 2 128Gb, NEC PA322UHD

Hi there,

If you are comparing a PowerMac to a new iMac or pretty much any recent Intel iMac, the iMac would be better choice hands down.

You can only upgrade the older POWER machines so far and most Mac software is moving to the Intel architecture.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

As martyp advises go with an Intel iMac as all PowerMacs will only handle up to OS X.5.8. A refurbished from Apple may well be the go, with warranty etc.

http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/hom...deals/mac/imac
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Power Mac or Mac Pro? BIG difference. One is old Power PC and long discontinued and the other is Current and Intel. Power PC is history and very slow compared to any iMac with an Intel CPU and it's a Dead End.

If you mean Mac Pro let us know.
QUOTE Thanks
SonicIndustries

Hello,

I do not currently own a POWER and so the new machine. So whichever way I go the choice will be brand new. New iMac or New pMac
QUOTE Thanks
SonicIndustries

LOL, spot the newbie mistake!!!

Yes I mean a new Mac Pro Vs. iMac OOOPS!!!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Depending on your use, if other than heavy editing, graphics and photo work, go with the iMac and save the cost of a monitor.
QUOTE Thanks
Dreamcast270mhz

Dreamcast270mhz is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Power Mac G4 MDD 1.5 GHZ (OC) 1.25 GB Ubuntu and Leopard INTEL SUCK IT!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Power Mac or Mac Pro? BIG difference. One is old Power PC and long discontinued and the other is Current and Intel. Power PC is history and very slow compared to any iMac with an Intel CPU and it's a Dead End.

If you mean Mac Pro let us know.
not very slow, the g5 stands up nicely against intels, you can't run MorphOS on an intel either

Intel SUCKS!!! PPC Dominates
PowerMac G4 MDD 1.5Ghz 1.25GB 10.5 AND Ubuntu 9.1
Powerbook G4 15" 1.5Ghz 768MB 10.5
Ibook G4 12" 1.33Ghz 768MB 10.4.11
QUOTE Thanks
SonicIndustries

I am a graphic designer yes believe it or not I am using a PC for graphics etc, i have read enough to know that whichever switch i make from my PC based system to Apple will be a Huge leap forwards in speed and power.

The machine will do allsorts of tasks from photoshop editing to word processing to some basic 3D stuff (not intricate CAD work).
I will also use it as my home entertainment center for internet, email and watching movies etc
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

As others have said, if you want a good answer you should give some more details, specifically what you think your main use of the machine will be.

At this PARTICULAR moment in time, the top of the line iMac matches or outperforms all but the very top of the line Mac Pro. Apple will likely correct this in the near future, but nobody knows exactly when.

The current top of the line iMac is a magnificent machine, and although they had some teething troubles with monitors, that issue is now being corrected so at this point I think it's safe to say "order with confidence."

Basically the current iMacs are more than powerful enough for any "normal" use (including pro audio/video work), and they've recently been updated so they are set for a while. That said, if you need supermassive storage, flexible upgrade options or you do a heavy amount of multiprocessor-dependent work (for example, 3D rendering), I would certainly suggest you wait for the upcoming Mac Pro update.
QUOTE Thanks
SonicIndustries

Hi Chas,
that is very helpful.

I do a little 3D work but that tends to be more for my own little projects rather than massively complex CAD rendering etc

I use photoshop quite heavily, but apart from that i cant imagine making huge demands on a high end machine, if I go for the iMac it will be the new top spec machine.

One of the reasons I was considering the Pro is that I thought that if I buy a low to mid range PRO I can upgrade the machine to the same spec as the current top end PRO machines as funds become more readily available.

Also I had another reason which favours the PRO route...
I had been led to believe that the apple stand alone monitors (pretty as they are) are overly expensive and that I could buy a cheaper HD monitor instead. From then I thought well, could I actually buy a HD TV with the right inputs and then the monitor doubles as a TV. (or can i do that with apple TV?)
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicIndustries View Post
Regarding the PowerMac option, obviosly there is a price difference, If I go for a medium spec PowerMac is it possible to upgrade the components at a later date? Or would it be better to postpone my purchase and buy a higher spec machine at a date?
I hope that you have picked on the "little detail" that Apple no longer sells Powermac's. The last Powermac was sold August, 2006!

Of course you may be talking about an older used computer...and then your terminology would be correct. But if you're talking about getting a new Apple desktop computer...then your choices are a Mac Pro or an iMac.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
SonicIndustries

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
I hope that you have picked on the "little detail" that Apple no longer sells Powermac's. The last Powermac was sold August, 2006!

Of course you may be talking about an older used computer...and then your terminology would be correct. But if you're talking about getting a new Apple desktop computer...then your choices are a Mac Pro or an iMac.

Hope this helps,

- Nick
Hi Nick, sorry yes I am talking about a PRO Vs. iMac

as you might have guessed I am not yet a convert, but I cant wait!!!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicIndustries View Post
Hi Nick, sorry yes I am talking about a PRO Vs. iMac

as you might have guessed I am not yet a convert, but I cant wait!!!
To help with your decision (Mac Pro vs. iMac)...do you have any sort of maximum budget that might narrow the choices?

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
SonicIndustries

Hadn't really set a budget, to be honest that was one of the reasons to have a chat on here. I am not currently in the position to go out and buy either top end machine tomorrow but I am putting money by for it. which outs me in the position of do I buy a low end machine and upgrade it at a later date or do I postpone my purchase and buy the higher end machine when apple fund has grown sufficiently.

I had envisaged spending somewhere between £2-£3.5k but the thing to bear in mind is that i've not yet converted to apple so i'm in unfamiliar territory, I know I could buy a pretty stunning PC for that kind of money, but i have no desire to use VISTA or MSW7) I do not mind to spend that bit more on my purchase if my money is well spent. hope that makes sense to anybody else reading it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Imac G4 SuperDrive only read osx disc | Hard Drive Toast - 2nd, more enlightened, opinion wanted »