New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Help...Spinning Pinwheel!!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

paulb22

paulb22 is on a distinguished road

It seems everything I do lately, gets the spinning pinwheel. Files and Programs that should just open (or save and close) right up get the spinning pinwheel. Even web pages in Safari take forever to open and load.

I have a 5 year old G5 2.5ghz and 3 GB of memory. My main hard drive with my OS and applications is 250GB with 150GB free (over 50%). I have a second drive with files, photos and such that is 150GB with 45GB free. Also 1.5TB in 2 external drives. But all the files and photos I work with are on the main drive.
It gets very frustrating. What can I do ? I'm I ready for a new machine?
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Lets try repairing permissions

Applications>Utilities>Disk Utility
Click on Your HD in the left column and then repair permissions. Should give you some relief. Post back if problem persists

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

G5 not dead yet but probably needs a spring clean- use Onyx.. Do as Tattoedmac suggests then add a new user and log in there to see if problems are there as well.
How long since you shut it down and rebooted?
Perhaps look at connection issues - r u on wireless or ethernet?
OS Tiger or Leopard? Up to date? Try combo updater.
Look here and try some of those steps.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

NOTE: Thread moved to appropriate forum. Not just anything goes in Anything Goes

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
HarryHydro

HarryHydro is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Dual 2Ghz G5 /10.3.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulb22 View Post
It seems everything I do lately, gets the spinning pinwheel. Files and Programs that should just open (or save and close) right up get the spinning pinwheel. Even web pages in Safari take forever to open and load.

I have a 5 year old G5 2.5ghz and 3 GB of memory. My main hard drive with my OS and applications is 250GB with 150GB free (over 50%). I have a second drive with files, photos and such that is 150GB with 45GB free. Also 1.5TB in 2 external drives. But all the files and photos I work with are on the main drive.
It gets very frustrating. What can I do ? I'm I ready for a new machine?
Hi: I have a G5 2gHz dual and at one time, it took a long time shutting off. I think I tried fixing permissions, but that didn't work. I have a Norton Utilities for Mac CD that I booted with, and it found sooo many things wrong with the hard drive, but fixed them all. It worked perfectly after that. "..many things" included things like that dates were not reasonable and icons were associated to different programs, etc. If you haven't done so, boot with the Mac disk, I think holding the 'C' button, and run the drive utility.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Get Nortons well away from your Mac instantly. Even Nortons advise not using the Utility on OS X. Harry download a little utility called Applejack, print and follow the instructions and it will deep clean so there are no more shutdown problems.
QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

Chris H. is a jewel in the roughChris H. is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2009 MacBook - 10.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Get Nortons well away from your Mac instantly. Even Nortons advise not using the Utility on OS X. Harry download a little utility called p[plejack, print and follow the instructions and it will deep clean so there are no more shutdown problems.
Gaaah! No kidding. That utility is not worth it.

Though I may ask, all Norton products, or just the utilities? Because I've got Norton AV running on my Mac, and it is running 24/7.

I'm going by this: The Official Mac AntiVirus and Firewall FAQ

 iPad mini 1st gen - iOS 8.0
 iPod touch 5th gen - iOS 8.0
 Mac mini Server M10 - OS X 10.9.4
 MacBook Uni L09 - OS X 10.10 PB3
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

All and you do not need AV as there are no viri for OS X! Read this which a little old, is still topical:-

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7...l?tag=mfiredir
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

And go to the Norton site. See if you can find a list of what it is protecting you from.

Not the sales pitch of how it's protecting you. But a specific list of the OS X viruses it can find.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« G5 quad won't turn on | Moving with my iMac. »