New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

G5 Freezes

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sierrini

sierrini is on a distinguished road

Hello there!
i'd like to ask for some advise. I have a PowerPC G5 with 10.4.11 system that freezes all the time and i need to force a shut down to make it work again. It happens at least twice a day and then it works normally. Can someone please tell me how i can fix this problem?

Thanx
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Run disk utility from your install discs and verify the permissions and then the HD.
Once you've done that, you should also zap the PRAM.
Reboot and see how it goes, and then report back if it's still doing the same.
Be aware that G5's do suffer with logic board issues, so it could be the start of that, in which case you don't have many options, but try the above first.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
Dreamcast270mhz

Dreamcast270mhz is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Power Mac G4 MDD 1.5 GHZ (OC) 1.25 GB Ubuntu and Leopard INTEL SUCK IT!!

Is it an Imac or Powermac? The G5 is a great processor, but was designed for much more ventilation and cooling then apple provided. If it is an early iMac G5, these suffer from bad cooling iirc because of air cooling. it could also be a program that is written badly and leaking memory, any program with which it behaves like this in particular?

Intel SUCKS!!! PPC Dominates
PowerMac G4 MDD 1.5Ghz 1.25GB 10.5 AND Ubuntu 9.1
Powerbook G4 15" 1.5Ghz 768MB 10.5
Ibook G4 12" 1.33Ghz 768MB 10.4.11
QUOTE Thanks
sierrini

sierrini is on a distinguished road

Hello guys!
thank you for replying. Well the machine is a Powermac and it freezes during any kind of process, does not have a particular program which it does it with....i'm gonna try your advises and i'll let you how it goes!
thanks again
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Imac Issues | Imac G4 SuperDrive only read osx disc »