New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Upgrade iMac RAM 2GB or 4GB?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Unit134679

Unit134679 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac C2D | 2.66 GHz | 2GB RAM | 300GB HDD | OSX 10.6.2

I have an iMac 20" 2.66 Ghz computer from early 2009. It has two 1GB DDR3 sticks of RAM.

I am a photographer and use Photoshop CS4 to touch up, as well as Aperture for organization and touching up photos.

Aperture and CS4 both run well on my iMac, but take a while to load--especially CS4. Sometimes my computer will hang while performing minor tasks like touching up or even previewing pictures.

I was informed that I should install the most RAM that I can afford, but being a college student I'm on a budget.

So should I buy one 2GB stick and install a second 2GB later or just both both at once?
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Do you have enough hard dish space free to use as a swap disk for photoshop etc?
And you can just buy 1x 2GB stick. Then you'd have 3GB in your mac. And 1GB stick to sell or do whatever with. And 3GB is totally fine for photoshop. I only have 3GB and it runs photoshop totally fine with no slowdown at all.

So if you're on a really tight budget I'd get the 1x 2GB stich and try that. And if you need the 2nd 2GB stick then get it. But the only difference is if the can get 2x 2GB sticks for cheaper together individually then you have to think which is better for you.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
So should I buy one 2GB stick and install a second 2GB later or just both both at once?
Both at once. Reason: Your machine uses dual channel memory architecture and will work better when installed in pairs. Read about it here.

If you can't afford to purchase 2 x 2 Gb DDR3 modules right now, wait until you have the money to do so. Leave the pair of 1 Gb modules for now.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
Unit134679

Unit134679 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac C2D | 2.66 GHz | 2GB RAM | 300GB HDD | OSX 10.6.2

thanks chscag. cheers
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Choosing video card for new Mac Pro | No new Mac Pro this year? »