New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Just got a new Mac!!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

vbxz47

vbxz47 is on a distinguished road

hey everyone. I'm new here I just joined because I got a new 27" iMac. Any tips or stuff like that is welcome.
QUOTE Thanks
Spike88

Spike88 is on a distinguished road

When I get my new iMac in the future, I also want to get an external HD for it. Probably a 500 Gigs or perhaps the larger 1 TB drive. Would like to connect via Firewire (for faster data transfer) but if purchase cost is too high, will have USB 2.0 connection instead. Using Time Machine (which is included in OS), this external HD will be used to automatically backup data. Data backup / restore is very critical to me.

Connecting any computer and external HD to Backup UPS (like APC BACK-UPS RS 1300VA LCD 120V ) is a good thing to do as well. With its connected USB cable, the attached computer can perform its own "controlled" shut-down - when battery power becomes too low (while main source electricity is out). And, a Backup UPS creates steadier electrical power. Too much electrical ups/down variance changes is always hard to electrical parts.

Since the USB ports are on the "back side" of the iMac (which is often hard to access), I would connect an external 4 port USB hub as well. Use a hub that has its own power cable as well. For example: http://www.bewawa.com/usb-hub-for-ma...-warranty.html With USB hub on the front desk area, one can easily connect other USB cables to it. Like iPod synchronization cables and other USB cables.

For my future iMac (27.5"), these are the H/W add-ons I would obtain for it...

Hope this helps with your new iMac as well....

QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Welcome and congrats on the new Mac ...

You might want and have a look @
Switchers guide to OSX software
Mac-Forums Switchers FAQ and Information
's Keyboard Shortcuts

For a starters as there is a bit of reading lol
But drop in anytime and ask away if you do have problems.
And do use your search function as it is your biggest friend in here

Cheers

Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Congrats on the new Mac! If you have specific questions, post away. Someone here will likely have the answers.
QUOTE Thanks
IanB

IanB is on a distinguished road

I just bought a new 27" i5 iMac as well. I had a question about shipping... I ordered it today, Feb 1, but it's not expected to even ship until the 23rd. Is that usual?
QUOTE Thanks
DRMac

DRMac is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 15" 2.66Ghz C2D 4GB ram 320GB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanB View Post
I just bought a new 27" i5 iMac as well. I had a question about shipping... I ordered it today, Feb 1, but it's not expected to even ship until the 23rd. Is that usual?
Apple halted the production of 27" due deal with the screen problems such as flickering, i heard that they ship tho but its terribly delayed.

if you want a mac quicker you can check out your local apple store (if close by one)
QUOTE Thanks
IanB

I see. Thanks for the info!
QUOTE Thanks
VegasGeorge

VegasGeorge is a jewel in the roughVegasGeorge is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac, and Macbook Pro

Honest, not trying to rain on your parade, but take a look at: Apple may have stopped 27-inch iMac production | MacFixIt - CNET Reviews

Apple may be recalling the 27" iMacs.
QUOTE Thanks
IanB

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGeorge View Post
Honest, not trying to rain on your parade, but take a look at: Apple may have stopped 27-inch iMac production | MacFixIt - CNET Reviews

Apple may be recalling the 27" iMacs.
Are there any other common defects besides screen issues? ie if my screen looks fine can I more or less breathe easy?
QUOTE Thanks
tdll1313

tdll1313 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27 inch iMac i5 2.66 quad core processor. iPhone 4 32 gig, ATV2. MPB 17' quadcore

Hey guys two things, I have been debating which iMac I wanted to get and I decided to go with the 27 inch i5 config. But I didn't order it because of the wait, I just went directly to the Apple Store to avoid the wait time. My OCD is such that it would invade my life and I would be refreshing the shipment info page every 10 minutes until it actually got here. Did you check with your local Apple store before ordering online? And second, I have had my iMac for about 9 days and I have had zero screen issues! This machine is of course amazing.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to print two sided w/HP 1510 | Power supply fan always on at 2800 rpm »