Specs:
    2.0 Aluminum MacBook
    Question iMac G3 Screen/CRT Issue
    Hey guys,

I bought a used iMac G3 last week and everything is in working order, save for one thing. The right side of the display has a sort of faint yellow tint to it. The tint goes away on the right side of any window, menu, picture, text when in the area.

It was doing this with OS 9.1 when I got it. I've since upgraded to Tiger (with proper firmware), and the problem persists. I don't think it's a magnetic issue, since it happens regardless of where the iMac is in the room. I've also played with the display options.

It's still very much usable, just slightly annoying.

A screenshot wouldn't show the tint, and my camera had it kind of blurry, so here's a crude mockup of what I'm experiencing:

I don't know if I should toggle or tweak one of the ray guns inside, or what...
    Veritas et Virtus

Specs:
    27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S
    When u say the 'Screenshot does not show the tint' is that viewing the screen shot on the G3 or on another computer?

Specs:
    MacMini 4.1, OS 10.11 and 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.11, MacBook 4.1, OS 10.6.8
    That's a very cleverly done mockup!

I'm not aware of much, if anything, you can do in respect of "tweaking" the cathode tube in an iMac, although a quick Google search came up with TV and Monitor CRT (Picture Tube) Information and Fast Repair Guide -Your Online Repair Guide! - Downloads | CRT Monitor Service Manuals.

I guess you could fiddle about with the color settings in SysPrefs. I suspect it's a failing monitor, a G3 iMac is a quite old machine, and you may not be aware of how much it's been used, or if screensavers were utilised.

If push came to shove, you could operate an external VGA monitor from the iMac.
    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

Specs:
    2.0 Aluminum MacBook
    Quote Originally Posted by Collin Bl View Post
    When u say the 'Screenshot does not show the tint' is that viewing the screen shot on the G3 or on another computer?
    Well, I haven't even taken a screenshot because I'm fairly certain that it would just show what the computer "thinks" the screen looks like, with no tint.

Thanks for the links, hugh. I think I read somewhere about a "fly-something-or-other" that can be adjusted right behind the screen...? If anyone knows anything about this, please chime in!
    Veritas et Virtus

Specs:
    MacMini 4.1, OS 10.11 and 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.11, MacBook 4.1, OS 10.6.8
    Quote Originally Posted by PittPanthersFan View Post
    If anyone knows anything about this, please chime in!
    See PM to you. hugh
    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

If this is a slot load Imac, there is an external video jack on the back under the door. Plug up a monitor and see if the tint is there. Your problem looks like a video chip issue.

Thread Information