New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

17" iMac vs. 20" iMac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

RGertner

RGertner is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: IBM PCjr, 4.77 MHz Intel 8088, 640K RAM, 5.25" Floppy, Basic Cartridge, PC DOS 2.11

On May 5th I purchased a 17" 2.0 Ghz iMac G5 from my local Apple store, and was very happy with it, but had a few hardware issues with the video cutting out. This had been occuring from day 1 of owning the iMac. Also, one of the first things I noticed about the iMac was that it was very very loud and my fans were always coming on, even from just opening a few applications such as iChat, Mail, and Safari and when I would rip on of my CD's into itunes, it was so loud it sounded like an airplain on my desk. Now, I have been using and IBM Thinkpad for the past 8+ years, and my latest one (T30) is rather loud when I have it in my docking station, so I am somewhat used to less than quiet systems.

Well today I had had enough today with the hardware failures and exchanged my 17" iMac for a new one at the applestore, but instead of getting another 17" I picked up a 20" since they had them in stock.

As soon as I powered the unit up I noticed that the 20" monitor is so much nicer than the 17". While I haven't looked at the specs beyond the resolution, the 20" seems to have a much better viewing angle. Also, this unit is whisper quiet. Both mine and my wife's cousin's iMac (purchased same model, the same day) are equally loud.

Just my observations, but just on the noise alone I would have purchased the 20" if I knew it ahead of time.

Thanks,
Ray
QUOTE Thanks
donnation25

donnation25 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" iMac G5 1GB RAM Superdrive; 12" powerbook 512mb RAM G4 Superdrive

I noticed the exact same thing. I had the 1.8ghz 17" model but upgraded to the new 20" model and noticed a big difference in the noise. The 20" is much quieter and I also think the monitor looks better as well.
QUOTE Thanks
alexmaccoll

alexmaccoll is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" intel iMac, 15" MBP, 3 X 13.3" MB (family etc), G4 tower, 12" G4 PowerBook, iBook G4, 20" iMacG5

The 20" is beautiful, i love it sooo much!
Alex
QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

iWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

I got the 20" iMac G5, and I just love it. I can't remember what the 17" looks like in person, but I do see pictures, and it looks so little for some reason in comparison to the 20". I'm glad you like the 20" better. :cool:
QUOTE Thanks
RGertner

Mac Specs: IBM PCjr, 4.77 MHz Intel 8088, 640K RAM, 5.25" Floppy, Basic Cartridge, PC DOS 2.11

While, the Monitor is definately bigger/nicer on the 20", really the big item that I noticed was the sound. Why is the 17" so loud when the 20" is so quiet?

Thanks,
Ray
QUOTE Thanks
bassplayrr

bassplayrr will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGertner
While, the Monitor is definately bigger/nicer on the 20", really the big item that I noticed was the sound. Why is the 17" so loud when the 20" is so quiet?

Thanks,
Ray

I'm really not sure, but the way I see it, the 20" is about 25% thicker and larger in all dimensions as well. So, I think that extra room allows for just enough of an increase in the computer's ability to cool that the fans are required to spin up less frequently. More rooms for air to cool the computer through convection = less need for the fans to spin into the higher and louder RPMs.

-Chris
QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

iWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGertner

Thanks,
Ray
I'm think that the confines of the 17" iMac might be a little more closed in, when the confines of the 20" iMac might be a little more spacious allowing more air flow. But that is only if you are talking about the fan issues of course.
QUOTE Thanks
RGertner

I have to take back some of what I said. Today I purchased a 17" iMac for my Mom (yup switched another person)...

Anyway, the difference in noise between my 20" and her 17" (1.8Ghz w/Combo Drive) was very little. Yes, my 20" is a tad more quiet, but nothing like the 17" (2.0Ghz w/Super Drive) that I had. I imported a few CD's for her, setup her email and the system never got loud like my original 17" So I have to say, that I guess my problem was an abnormality.

Thanks,
Ray
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« G4 iMac 20" tft screen cover... | iMac fans blasting more in Tiger? »