New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

MAC PRO problems...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nickmenes

nickmenes is on a distinguished road

Hey im new, thanks for the help before hand...

I've had my Mac Pro Intel xeon Dual Quad, for about a year now... 2 gigs of ram, NVIDIA 8800GT 512mb... everything has been working really well. To be honest I dont believe i have upgraded leopard in a couple of months...

I have XP running boot camp on a separate hard drive... also been installed for the duration with no problems.

The Problem: I logged into a game on XP, the computer froze and went multi-colored and grainy, as if my graphics card had stopped working, after trying to control alt delete, and allowing it to sit for a minute or 2, the MAC jus turned off. As i turned back on, i was greeted by lines across my screen and the apple logo, and a message that says you must restart your MAC, along with what looks like a cmd menu in the background... After a day I turned it back on, it seem to work, a couple of pixels started showing up on my moniter, then more, and as i went to update itunes, it crashed agian. Same problem, lines all over on startup, and then telling me to restart. But this time it will not start back up...

Sorry for the lack of clarity, I will try and clear things up.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

"Xeon"

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
nickmenes

^^ you speak the truth lol

My MAC was shipped in February of 08... I'd still consider myself quite incapable of getting the full use out of her, so any help would be appreciated. I cannot boot to safe. I've cleared the pRAM. Reconnected RAM and GRAPHICS card. nothing.

Mac Pro crashes on startup - Graphics card? - Mac Forums

seems like a similar problem to the one I have, although not identical...
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

What you describe sounds like what is known as a "Kernel Panic".

A kernel panic is usually caused by defective, broken, or worn out hardware.

So:

- Have you installed any new hardware lately (ram, hard drives, video cards)?
- If your video card has "died" on you...this could very well be the cause of the problems. Of course the only sure way to test this is to remove the old video card, and install a new one (not an inexpensive experiment).
- Do you have the grey/silver disk(s) that came with your computer? If possible...boot the computer with it, and run the hardware test.

Another option would be to take it to your nearest Apple Store to be examined...if you have an Apple Store near you.

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
nickmenes

Thanks.

Nope, no new hardware has been added in quite some time. I do have the disc, but when I boot holding ALT, the apple symbol still appears, and I am in frozen line filled restart he,ll. Is there another way to boot from disc?
QUOTE Thanks
nickmenes

I am going to get a new video card for my MACPRO today or tommrow. I have a NVIDIA 8800GT (which I believe is burnt out ) in there right now. Is there any suggestions for a decent videocard under $200?

And if my problem is the videocard, and the reason im getting a kernal panic ( due to hardware failure ) , should the MAC jus boot fine after putting in the new card?

Thank you
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmenes View Post
I am going to get a new video card for my MACPRO today or tommrow. I have a NVIDIA 8800GT (which I believe is burnt out ) in there right now. Is there any suggestions for a decent videocard under $200?

And if my problem is the videocard, and the reason im getting a kernal panic ( due to hardware failure ) , should the MAC jus boot fine after putting in the new card?

Thank you
There's not too many video cards for the Mac Pro available for under $200.

The only one I know of is the GT120:

NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 Graphics Upgrade Kit for Mac Pro (early 2009) - Apple Store (U.S.)

If your current video card is bad...it could be causing the kernel panics. So yes, if you replace the video card...the kernel panics should go away.

HTH,

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
martyp

martyp is a jewel in the roughmartyp is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 15" Retina, 2.3GHz i7, 16Gb, 512Gb SSD, 750GT. iPhone 5S 64Gb Gold

I'd contact Apple, if the Mac was shipped in Feb '08 you'll still have warranty left - I'd also advise upgrading to AppleCare as the components for Apples' are expensive.

It sounds like a dead ringer the graphics card is on it's way out.

Apple won't have any issues with replacing the defective card if you are still in the warranty period.

If you not, look for a used 8800GT on eBay or get the new GT120 which IMO is significantly worse.

HTH.
QUOTE Thanks
martyp

martyp is a jewel in the roughmartyp is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 15" Retina, 2.3GHz i7, 16Gb, 512Gb SSD, 750GT. iPhone 5S 64Gb Gold

Oh regarding the keyboard not registering the ALT key at start up, are you using the Apple wireless keyboard?

If yes, start pressing the ALT key from the second you switch the machine on until the green light at the top right corner of the keyboard illuminates.

When you hear the bong press and hold the ALT key until the boot menu appears on screen.

Again, hope that helps...
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyp View Post
I'd contact Apple, if the Mac was shipped in Feb '08 you'll still have warranty left - I'd also advise upgrading to AppleCare as the components for Apples' are expensive.
This is assuming the OP has two years of Applecare on this Mac Pro. It is now February 2010...2 years after this computer shipped...and the standard Apple warranty is 12 months (1 year).

But I definitely agree...if the OP still has warranty left...definitely use it!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Dreamcast270mhz

Dreamcast270mhz is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Power Mac G4 MDD 1.5 GHZ (OC) 1.25 GB Ubuntu and Leopard INTEL SUCK IT!!

It could be the graphics card overheated and burned the thermal paste. i've had nothing but trouble with Nvidia chipsets and cards on both macs and x86 pcs. If you can, remove the card and pop off the heatsink. Take some diluted IPA and water, and rub the old thermal paste off the chip and heatsink, then reapply a SMALL amount of good quality paste to the chip, use the blunt edge of a butter knife to spread it out, the pop the heatsink back on, I've saved several Nvidia cards because of this.

NOTE: If you smell a burned maple syrup odor, the card has scorched the thermal paste and is probably dead.

Intel SUCKS!!! PPC Dominates
PowerMac G4 MDD 1.5Ghz 1.25GB 10.5 AND Ubuntu 9.1
Powerbook G4 15" 1.5Ghz 768MB 10.5
Ibook G4 12" 1.33Ghz 768MB 10.4.11
QUOTE Thanks
nickmenes

I appreciate all the help thus far...

My baby has been in the "MAC OUTPOST" for its "3 day turnaround" for about 10 days now .. hah, and they "THINK" its the video card, but when they unplug my second harddrive (dedicated to windows), the diagnostic test runs... They said the problem may still be my videocard.. I'm pretty disappointed in their work ethic, it almost seems as if they have not even looked at my mac...

I'm looking for a good and up-to-date list of compatible VC's or even some more recommendations. I would be very appreciative as the only card i can find on nVIDIA site has a pricetag of $400, and I am not looking to spend that much.. I can find very few piece of information...

I believe my problem is a dead card and I'm going to go get my computer back after another day or 2.

Thanks
ps. my APPLE CARE ran out so im SOL on that front hah
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

Check on that Applecare. If you purchased it you are covered for three years.
QUOTE Thanks
nickmenes

no applecare, apparently it is somthing that I never bought or, only had for 6 months...

I am looking at numerous PCI-e 2.0 video cards... Will any of these work on my MAC, and if not, why?

XFX Radeon HD 4890 Radeon HD 4890

EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX Geforce 9800 GTX

Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 Radeon HD 5770

I'm looking for equal if not better power then the 8800GT with about $225 to spend.. Any recommendations appreciated!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Just a point of order:

A Mac is short for "Macintosh." It's not an acronym, thus it should not be capitalised.

To put it another way:
mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

Ditto for iPod.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Yahoo messenger help | iMac Monitor issue when displaying BLACK »