New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

new mac pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bcampbe3

bcampbe3 is on a distinguished road

So, I need a new macpro.. not terribly but temptation is beginning to get the better of me. I would really love to buy the 8 core today but am still waiting for the new mac pros to be released. Should I continue waiting? Will they really be that much faster? I know no one knows when they will come out but now that I know its not today I'm thinking it will not be until late March . any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcampbe3 View Post
So, I need a new macpro.. not terribly but temptation is beginning to get the better of me. I would really love to buy the 8 core today but am still waiting for the new mac pros to be released. Should I continue waiting? Will they really be that much faster? I know no one knows when they will come out but now that I know its not today I'm thinking it will not be until late March . any ideas?
Well...funny you should ask this question...since today (Jan 27th) is a big new product announcement day. If Apple doesn't announce anything today for the Mac Pro line...then I guess you should buy today or keep on waiting!

Also...what are you looking for in a yet unannounced Mac Pro? And what if the next Mac Pro's do not come with what you expected...then you waited for nothing.

Food for thought,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
bcampbe3

bcampbe3 is on a distinguished road

Well I guess I'm expecting a gulftown i9 processor that will allow the macpro to house 12 cpu cores. With more cores I would expect that would allow you to add more than the current 32 GB of ram, the current limit (not that i need 32 GB but anything over 16 begins to get expense). And it wasn't announced today, sad it would be most likely a few more months, right??
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Nothing new on the new MacPros today. I am in the same boat as you, waiting for the new i9 MacPro to be released to replace my aging and ailing Quad G5. My advice is hang in there. They are likely to announce a new MacPro sooner than later, the line is past due for an update.

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
My advice is hang in there. They are likely to announce a new MacPro sooner than later, the line is past due for an update.
Agreed. The Mac Pro line is overdue for an update...but then again...the current 8-core Mac Pro is pretty darn powerful...thus unlikely to disappoint if you got one!

In any case...the "smart" computer shopper will buy an 8-core anyway. When new Mac Pro's are announced (possibly i9 based)...the old 8-core Mac Pro's will get a nice price reduction to get them out of the system!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Flickering is Back? | How much is my iMac worth? »