New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

No Signal To Monitor

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

arthurlewis

My G4 is no longer sending a signal to the monitor. All was OK sunday evening. Turned off the monitor overnight and in the morning the monitor displayed only 'NO SIGNAL' message. Has my graphics card blown (standard APPLE AGP supplied) or is it something more fundamental? I do not have another MAC available to me to test this theory, which is the problem.

I have tested the monitor on a different machine (Windows laptop) and it works fine.

Any thoughts welcomed
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Since you have test the monitor and ruled it out. That leave two items to check, the cable and the card. Unless the cable was loose, or has some 90 degree bends in it, I would think the video card may have gone out.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
EvoMac

Make sure that the port is firmly inserted into the slot (PCI or AGP?). If the video card is PCI try inserting it into another slot to confirm that its not the slot on the logic board that went bad.
QUOTE Thanks
arthurlewis

Cable was fine. Card is AGP. Do graphics cards have a habit of dying so young?
QUOTE Thanks
jhelm007

jhelm007 is a jewel in the roughjhelm007 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthurlewis
This sounds stoopid, but have you re-booted the 'puter with the monitor turned on and hooked up? There is an anoying habit of macs not booting up properly if they don't detect a display sometimes. That's my only idear... good luck.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

The above sounds so simple, I bet you it will work.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
bmwrob

bmwrob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman
The above sounds so simple, I bet you it will work.
I have a PC with the same problem which went back to the factory for repair yesterday afternoon. The tech on the phone had me do few things for him, and then determined that the problem isn't the graphics card, but rather the power supply. Not sure how to check on a Mac, but wouldn't invest in a card without checking the power supply first.

Good luck with the reboot. I hope that works for you.
QUOTE Thanks
jhelm007

jhelm007 is a jewel in the roughjhelm007 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthurlewis
It took my rage 128 pro about 3 years to go bad.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Having problems installing os x on my G4 | G4 slowing down »