New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Quad G5 issues

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

So aside from the overheating issue, my Quad G5 Hs]as started having other issues:

1) 2 of my 3Gb of RAM have disappeared (yes, they are paired properly) I can't detainee if it's the RAM or if it's the slots because of #2:

2) When I shut the Mac down I have to unplug it and leave it unplugged for upwards of 30 min before it will successfully boot again. Otherwise i may get as far as the Apple boot screen, spool the fans up to warp speed and howl like a jet airliner, and nothing else. When this happens, warning lights 2 and 6 on the front of the Mother Board (right by the upper RAM slots) illuminate. Apple says if they light up to contact Apple, obviously meaning you have big issues.

Once the machine is running it works fine, just with 1Gb of RAM vice 3.

Now, the RAM aside, I'm thinking maybe a power supply issue in the machine is the cause of #2.

Anyone else ever seen anything like this? BTW, the machine is 5 years old, out of warranty so the odds of getting it fixed at less cost than a new MacPro are slim.

QUOTE Thanks
sabot

sabot will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: "Cypher" Powermac G5 2.3 DualCore QuadroFX4500 23" cinema display

without wanting to sound obvious have you tried removing & reseating your ram?
i fired mine up the other day, no chime & it was only showing 1 out of 7Gb of Ram!
reseated them all again & then it fired up fine, chimed on startup & all ram showing in system profiler.
although i then left it for a while & came back to it with the fans going full chat & it wouldn't respond to keyboard or mouse & the display was blank!!
unplugged & fired up again, chimed as normal but had an onscreen message about a kernel panic that i should have read before i closed the box!
although when tested for a short time it all worked perfectly??

when it did this before i used the Apple ASD test disc which really works your machine & it failed some of the ram. even though the initial test on startup gave the chime & system profiler etc said they were there & working ASD found some problem or other.
this leads me to believe that the G5's are either really hard on ram or they are prone to having problems with the slots. which isn't good as they're part of the logic board

anyway remove your ram, give it a wipe, blow out your slots, reseat & try again & let us know how you get on ?

if its a power supply they generally just die & stop working completely!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
Anyone else ever seen anything like this? BTW, the machine is 5 years old, out of warranty so the odds of getting it fixed at less cost than a new MacPro are slim.
This may be a long shot...but have you cleaned the inside lately? Dust, dirt, and fuzz can really clog up the heat-sinks (video card) & fans inside the G5's...you would be really surprised where & how much fuzz can collect in all of the "nooks & crannies...including inside the power supply itself!

Being a quad G5...even with the liquid cooling system I'm guessing it still runs pretty warm. So a dirty computer will run even warmer.

HTH,

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabot
although i then left it for a while & came back to it with the fans going full chat & it wouldn't respond to keyboard or mouse & the display was blank!!
unplugged & fired up again, chimed as normal but had an onscreen message about a kernel panic that i should have read before i closed the box!
although when tested for a short time it all worked perfectly??
That's exactly what it's doing.

I generally keep the inside of the machine clean, I learned shortly after getting this machine that it needed that. I've reseated the RAM, swapped it around etc, but can't tell if it's the slots or the RAM itself for the reasons I originally described. I can't run the Hardware test disc since I have an overheating issue with CPUA that will shut the machine down when the test runs due to heat.

QUOTE Thanks
sabot

in that case i'll let you know how i get on with fixing mine then.
my mrs is a Mac engineer & she'll be helping me diag & repair my machine so i'm not just blundering around in a blindfold
so far though my experiences lead me to the ram/slots more often than not!
i've got handfulls of ram sticks here that chime but fail ASD alongside others that have passed ASD in another machine but fail in mine but work perfectly in another slot???
it seems to pick a slot at random then go into spaz mode!
i'm not around this weekend so i wont be getting into it until next week but i'll let you know what i find, keep us updated on your progress on here as somebody else maybe able to offer an insight
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I generally keep the inside of the machine clean, I learned shortly after getting this machine that it needed that. I've reseated the RAM, swapped it around etc, but can't tell if it's the slots or the RAM itself for the reasons I originally described. I can't run the Hardware test disc since I have an overheating issue with CPUA that will shut the machine down when the test runs due to heat.
Just one more long-shot question. I know that some folks with the G5 towers had problems with the liquid cooling system...any leaks on your end?

I'm assuming you would know...due to the leakage...but wanted to ask just in case.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

No leaks that I can see. I even opened up the CPU/Pump compartment and there is no sign of leaking. I'm assuming it is a heat paste issue or a clog in the CPU A cooling loop. I was supposed to get a MacPro to replace this machine but recent events will force me to delay for probably another 6 months so need to eek out as much life from this thing as I can.

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
So aside from the overheating issue,

2) When I shut the Mac down I have to unplug it and leave it unplugged for upwards of 30 min before it will successfully boot again.
You mentioned the over-heating issue in your initial post...seems to me if a computer is over-heating...this could lead to some of the other issues you're experiencing.

Have you downloaded & installed a program like "Temperature Monitor":

Temperature Monitor: Description

...and see what sort of temps your computer is generating??

This could definitely give you some insight as to what may be causing the issues (where the over-heating is occurring)...and help you determine if anything you're doing to help with cooling is successful.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
sabot

that looks like a good tool Nick

i have istat which tells me about temps & fan speeds etc but i might give that one a go too
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabot View Post
that looks like a good tool Nick

i have istat which tells me about temps & fan speeds etc but i might give that one a go too
iStat looks like a pretty interesting program as well:

iStat Menus, a Mac app by iSlayer

Thanks for mentioning it,

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
baggss

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
You mentioned the over-heating issue in your initial post...seems to me if a computer is over-heating...this could lead to some of the other issues you're experiencing.

Have you downloaded & installed a program like "Temperature Monitor":

Temperature Monitor: Description

...and see what sort of temps your computer is generating??

This could definitely give you some insight as to what may be causing the issues (where the over-heating is occurring)...and help you determine if anything you're doing to help with cooling is successful.

Hope this helps,

- Nick
I've been running Temperature Monitor for some years. In fact the lite version resides in my task bar.

With the CPUs set to "Automatic" CPU A idles at about 140F, CPU B 109F. If I stress the CPUs running an App like Handbrake (that maxes all 4 CPUs) CPU A will zip to 208F and B will stay at about 150F. At that point the machine goes to sleep and the fans will spin up. If I leave it long enough it will come back, but it's generally easier just to restart it.

Yeah, it's got a heat problem, I know that, that's why I'm going to replace the machine. I'm assuming it's either the heat paste on CPU A or a clog in the cooling loop for CPU A. This could be related to my current issue, CPU A maxes at about 155F when the the CPUs are set to "Reduced" and stressed, except that the CPUs are not stressed or running hot (relatively speaking in regards to CPU A) when I shut the machine down and they don't get overly heated or stressed upon boot up, at I have never observed them to be when the machine boots.

There's a Mac shop locally (not an Apple Store) that I can probably take it to and have them diagnose the whole thing. I know in the end it's not going to be cheap or worth the effort to fix. At least they won't charge me to diagnose it.

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
I've been running Temperature Monitor for some years. In fact the lite version resides in my task bar.
Ooh well...if you're already running Temperature Monitor...then you are certainly aware of your operating temps.

Since you're having trouble with the ram...is Temperature Monitor reporting any ram temps? I know with some desktops/laptops...sometimes Temperature Monitor will report ram temps...sometimes by "bank or slot".

Maybe if there is some ram near the hotter CPU A (I'm not familiar with the logic board design of a Quad G5)...it's getting extra warm...and causing issues with that ram.

Again...just trying to think "out-loud" and maybe "stir-up" a "cause-effect" relationship.

- Nick

p.s. By the way...that possible clog in the cooling loop for CPU A...is there any way of removing the possible clog or is the only solution the expensive "replacing the cooling loop" option?

QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

baggss my 2.3GHz Dual Core at idle, iStat shows CPU A at 110 degrees and CPU B is also 110 degrees, so sure sounds like heat paste cracked on CPU A. Why not try replacing the paste with Arctic Silver?
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
baggss my 2.3GHz Dual Core at idle, iStat shows CPU A at 110 degrees and CPU B is also 110 degrees, so sure sounds like heat paste cracked on CPU A. Why not try replacing the paste with Arctic Silver?
Have you looked at the cooling system on a Quad G5? There are two separate liquid cooling loops that sit atop the CPUs inside a sealed compartment. Servicing them is a serious challenge at home and isn't really feasible. You have to disassemble (and drain) both cooling loops, remove the pumps, then remove the heat sinks to even get to the CPUs. Then you have to put it all back together and hope it works.

QUOTE Thanks
baggss

So after spending the better part of the day today troubleshooting these issues I discover that 4 of the 512Mb pairs of RAM (2Gb) were in mismatched pairs. In other words both pairs from maker A were in upper slots 2 & 3 and both pairs from maker B were lower slots 2 & 3. When I swapped them so they matched up all 3Gb of RAM showed back up. Much better.

Still nothing new on the not booting or heat issues, but at least my machine runs normally now. 1Gb in this thing was SO not enough RAM. It seems to take between 30 and 45 min of being unplugged for the machine to boot up normally. Now when it does boot, no error light on the Motherboard (as described in my initial post) illuminate though.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac cosmetic issues | iMac G4 flat panel Power Supply failure? »