New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

g3 video driver/extension?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

barryWest

barryWest is on a distinguished road

I'm running OS X 10.3 on my g3 and according to the system profiler, the video card is an ATI Rage128Pro2. However, I noticed in the extensions section of the profiler that the 'ATIRage128' extension is loaded and not the 'ATIRagePro' extension.
Is this correct? If not, how do I load the other extension?

I posted a question a few weeks back about why my display flickers like crazy at 1024x768 (it is fine at 800x600) and was poking around the profiler when I noticed this.
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

From memory, you too have a G3 iMac 600. I've just checked the video configuration in SysProf, and there seems to be a contradiction there, in that the AGP card is ATYRage128Pro2, whereas the extension says ATIRage128. Why the difference?

Short answer - IDK. Guessing here - you're running 10.3.9, as does my G3 iMac, and I think the two different specs are for OS X and OS 9, the latter of which, you'll recall, is still part of the OS in Panther.

Is it cause of the screen flicker? Possibly, but, using the 1024 x 768 on my iMac, it's as steady as a rock. Not much help to you, I realise.

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.
QUOTE Thanks
barryWest

barryWest is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughvane View Post
From memory, you too have a G3 iMac 600. I've just checked the video configuration in SysProf, and there seems to be a contradiction there, in that the AGP card is ATYRage128Pro2, whereas the extension says ATIRage128. Why the difference?
Short answer - IDK. Guessing here - you're running 10.3.9, as does my G3 iMac, and I think the two different specs are for OS X and OS 9, the latter of which, you'll recall, is still part of the OS in Panther.
Is it cause of the screen flicker? Possibly, but, using the 1024 x 768 on my iMac, it's as steady as a rock. Not much help to you, I realise.
Yes on all counts, it is a G3 600 running 10.3.9 and you are also correct about the name of the card, it is indeed a ATYRage128Pro2. I only looked at it quickly so probably just mistook the Y for and I; I'm not sure why it is different from the extension.
Oh well, it was somethihng I just stumbled across; I've gotten used to the 800x600 screen but it would be nice to be able to use the full resolution. I really don't know much about macs, but is it possible to load the ATIRagePro extension to give that a try, or will that just muck up things even worse? Coming from a windows background, I'm not sure how this would be done.
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

See if these two links will enlighten you:
ATI Rage 128 Pro AGP Mac Edition
Radeon™ Mac Edition (note the Support & Drivers tab)
The extension, btw, is ATI, the chipset on the card is ATY. These things are sent to confuse us ..... Hugh

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Want to add a second internal hard drive | getting an iMac »