New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Shut Her Down?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

T_O_P12

T_O_P12 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" iMac Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1067 MHz RAM, iPhone 4S

(iMac 27")
Do you shut it down? When and why?
Do you put just display to sleep?
Do you put computer to sleep?
When and why?
QUOTE Thanks
VegasGeorge

VegasGeorge is a jewel in the roughVegasGeorge is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac, and Macbook Pro

Most of us sleep our iMacs most of the time. There's an ill defined theory about doing a power off every so often, but no consensus on how often. I'm sure that assuming everything is working OK on your iMac, powering down once a week would be more than enough. Some folks think it unwise to leave a computer powered up 24/7 when connected to the Internet. But with a password protected, encrypted home network that shouldn't be much of a concern.
QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

clayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s

agree with VegasGeorge Just sleep mine. The only time it gets turned off is when an install requires a restart or I am taking it out of the house( almost never)

Clay

MY ADVICE COMES WITH A DOUBLE YOUR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Mine is (usually) turned off before going to bed.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Believer in turning off as a reboot fully checks the operating system and hardware out.
QUOTE Thanks
Spike88

Spike88 is on a distinguished road

For my computers, I manually turn them off each night (before I go to bed). For my computers connected to Backup UPS unit (that also have its auto-shutdown feature working properly), I leave Turned ON. If electrical source goes out, my backup UPS/Computer system does a nicely controlled auto shut down "on its own".

In the past, I had a few computers (without Backup UPS) that got corrupted when its electrical source went out. Cutting electrical power to any live computer is a risk. Risk of screwing up something. Thus, why properly configured Backup UPS is a great thing to have. Even a little APC Backup UPS 700VA or larger unit works great (for controlled "automatic" power shut downs - when needed). re: Back UPS RS LCD 700 Master Control

Works for me...

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« G4 Quicksilver 2002 dead DVDRW drive | How to erase a HDD when the computer won't boot? »