New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac Pro doesn't turn on

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

thiagostorch

thiagostorch is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone.

First of all, sorry for my English.

Well, I've already searched for this topic, trying to find the solution for myself but... sometimes my Mac doesn't turn on.

I have a Mac Pro Intel Zeon Dual Quad, 4Gb RAM, GeForce 8800GT 512Mb, bought in August 2008.

When everything runs OK and the machine turns on, that's what I hear:
1) "click"
2) fan (I don't know how it is called in English) spins
3) a "puff" from my display (a similar sound occurs, for example, if you touch your TV so that static is discharged), which seems to mean "hey, I'm connected to your Mac, let's go!"
4) the well-known "paaaam"

But frequently, I only hear "click" and... Well, Mac doesn't turn on. Even the fan doesn't spin. When this occurs, I turn off the surge-protector in which the energy cables from my Mac and my display are connected and try again, say, 30 minutes later. This problem occurs even with the energy cables connected on wall sockets.

Last year, in November, as my machine stopped turning on, I took it (to the store in which I had bought it) for technical assistance. No problem was found. They simply cleaned the dust on it.

Back to home, Mac seemed to be fixed, but one month later, the issue reappeared. Recently I opened it and cleaned the dust. For 4 days, Mac turned on just fine, but then again...

During my research, I've noticed that many Mac users have problems in turning on their machines, but I have never found an answer. Another problem shared with those users is that this issue is kind of "inconsistent": sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. So people took their Macs and, when tested by the assistance service, machines work just fine. =/

Does anyone knows why my Mac Pro has this problem? It's driving me nuts! Is it really dust? A contact problem with the power button? How can I clean the back of the power button?

I've read somewhere that maybe this problem is caused by a misfunction of a device of the logic card. Is it true? Can I replace only this device, because the logic card is kind of expensive?

Well, that's all.

Thank you everyone.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

Unplug your Mac Pro, and remove the surge protector. Plug in after ten minutes and see if the machine will boot. Surge protectors sometimes are not all they are cracked up to be. Keep us posted?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Powermac G4 - Boot Problems | Less than a newbie here... »