New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus ē Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts ē Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Upcoming Mac Pro vs iMac i7

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nm324

nm324 is on a distinguished road

Hey guys, currently I have an 08 black macbook and Iím looking for a great upgrade. I am deciding between the upcoming Mac Pro(6 core processors) or the current iMac.
I use my computer for various tasks and I need a more powerful computer to do things such as gaming, photoshop, video editing and programming. The iMac will be $2080 with student discount and the Mac Pro $2300. The difference between these prices to me doesnít matter, Iíd just like to mention the configuration.
I like the iMac because of its unique design and great 27Ē screen. However I wouldnít enjoy waiting 3 weeks for my shipment, the screens are messed up, and the mac buyers guide says its in neutral cycle. I have also heard rumors that there will be a touchscreen iMac soon, this greatly confuses me because I need a computer now but if I buy the iMac now and there is a new one in a couple of months I will be disappointed.
The upcoming Mac Pro on the other hand is appealing due to the amazing power of it. I already have a two 22Ē monitors I could use with this, even though they donít look as cool as the Apples(I wonít pay $800 for a 24Ē). Another point for this is when it launches it will be brand new and I wonít be anxious in waiting for a new one. I wonít need the expansion however it is a nice thing.
If you have read all of this, I thank you and respect your opinion very much.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

First off you're comparing a rumor with an existing machine.
Not all that great a thing to do related to Apple.
Anything related to when and what the configuration of the next Mac Pro is pure speculation.

Highly unlikely there will be any upgrade of the iMac in the next couple of months.

If you need a new computer now, buy one now. It will still be the same machine and perform the same functions as the day you bought it when a new one comes out.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
nm324

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
First off you're comparing a rumor with an existing machine.
Not all that great a thing to do related to Apple.
Anything related to when and what the configuration of the next Mac Pro is pure speculation.

Highly unlikely there will be any upgrade of the iMac in the next couple of months.
Well it will definitely have the i9 processors and it seems viable. Mac Buyer's Guide: Know When to Buy Your Mac, iPod or iPhone
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Like I said, if you need a computer now, buy now. If you don't need one now, wait to buy until you do.

There has been the next new thing for the past 30 years related to computers and there will be the next new thing coming for the foreseeable future.

At least today, it's nearly impossible to buy a computer that won't run that new piece of software you just bought in less than 12 months time. Any mid-range or above computer should give you several years of useful lifetime today.

QUOTE Thanks
nm324

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Like I said, if you need a computer now, buy now. If you don't need one now, wait to buy until you do.

There has been the next new thing for the past 30 years related to computers and there will be the next new thing coming for the foreseeable future.

At least today, it's nearly impossible to buy a computer that won't run that new piece of software you just bought in less than 12 months time. Any mid-range or above computer should give you several years of useful lifetime today.
I see your point man and thatís what I was thinking before but this is guessing that the Mac Pro is to be released very soon as in possibly Wednesday. Im just saying overall as a computer which is better for me to buy.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

No doubt, I would wait until after the 27th just to see what it is they're announcing.

Me personally?... already have two 22" widescreen monitors, basically the same money for the iMac and Mac Pro... I'd be going for the Mac Pro, especially if they do put the 6 core chip in it at that price point.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Magic Mouse - high friction | SD Card Slot Issue »