darque
    G5 Dual 1.8 desktop seems Slower than my single G5
    I am shocked that my dual g5 1.8 (leopard) w/ 4gigs ram seems to react slower than my similar g5 single processor (tiger) w same amount of ram.

Is this something anyone has heard of before?
    simple opening of applications, going online, and or doing basic day to day operations seems to make the dual hesitate a bit, just kinda missing that sharp snap my single g5 processor has . I use photoshop daily and I believe the dual machine might be a bit faster than i know of at that type of processing; thats great!

but what would make the dual act a bit...stoned?

what are the general feelings regarding this matter? is there a speed test i can do? or/??

thank u

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by darque View Post
    what are the general feelings regarding this matter? is there a speed test i can do? or/??
    This is exactly what I was going to suggest. Just because one computer "seems" slower...doesn't mean it actually is. Computer speed can be very subjective.

- Do both computers have similar hard drives. Hard drive performance...especially when launching applications & saving files can make a big difference.
    - Video hardware can make a difference.
    - You're running two different OS versions on these two computers, and OS 10.5 "Leopard" is more demanding than OS 10.4 "Tiger".
    - Finally, there are some "optimizing" steps that can speed things up...such as repairing permissions...and if the hard drive on the dual processor G5 is really full (greater than 75%) that can slow things down.

In any case...here's a benchmarking program to test both computers:

Xbench: Comprehensive Macintosh Benchmarking

Hope this helps,

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

darque
    thanks nick...
    10.5 is more demanding obviously, but i bought this dual g5 used for way cheap and i wanted to know if machine or software is issue? if its a leopard thing then i ll just stick w tiger...
    I am running one test now. will keep posted...

gotta love the internet

darque
    tests completed
    i did both my computers and my single processor scored a 69.78 (ish)

and my dual scored a 54.76 (ish) cant quite remember exact number

here is the link to the single processor test... beat the pants of similar machine...this little g5 is a greyhound...Why? what is alt vec basic ? cause my machine has that on crack!

Xbench: Comparison

ill post the dual in a bit! i guess if i went back to tiger on the dual it would screeeem>??

Specs:
    27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S
    But how did u get your info across from Tiger to Leopard and have you done any maintenance since you have been running Leopard. Might be worthwhile to try Onyx and give it a bit of a sweep out.

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/11582/onyx

darque
    dual machine score
    Xbench: Comparison

the second test it did better ????? wtheck? 68.12 see the above comparison.

again there seems to be a couple areas where this dual machine rocks but some areas where it needs speed or help making faster? i was going to be lost but the last individual suggested onyx? ill look for it and try...

thanks for all your help guys... if you could check the links ?and maybe if you have time suggest areas that need love

darque
    How to do this ~theoretical
    Quote Originally Posted by Collin Bl View Post
    But how did u get your info across from Tiger to Leopard and have you done any maintenance since you have been running Leopard. Might be worthwhile to try Onyx and give it a bit of a sweep out.
    assuming i understand the software i would save my machine (a, with a unique name) and machine b ~the baseline machine for comparison.
    I did not do this...

the website xbench.com has a bunch of saved profiles. i assume i can find own teat results if spend time searching for it...

but it still is not quite exact! its only a guide...

i will try this when i can

Specs:
    27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S
    My assumption is that if Migration Assistant is used then an amount of extraneous User Data is also imported viz Tiger files/caches which are replaced by Leopard ones and if there is a conflict < esp 3rd party apps > then the OS has to resolve it before carrying out the instruction.
    Others ending up here please correct me if i have it wrong.

darque
    Ummmm... What...?!?
    Quote Originally Posted by Collin Bl View Post
    ...Migration Assistant...WHAT IS MA?...Datafiles/caches ...a conflict < esp 3rd party apps > then the OS has to resolve it before carrying out the instruction.
    UMMMM? What are we talking about exactly ? I think i just geeked my self out? I am now officially lost. hehehehe

but i downloaded onyx, (SWEET THANKS) "housecleaning" as we speak. I noticed my dual running 10.5 would error out always using the repair permissions in osx's disk utility; but the onyx made some corrections w/o errors .... NICEEE

darque
    Onyx cleaned up the dual beautifully
    thanks for the speed test link and the cleaner link... I have finished running both and that "original~ fast snap to my requests" seems to be much much better... the pot is wearing off my machine, beautiful guys thanks a million...

Specs:
    I am shocked that my dual g5 1.8 (leopard) w/ 4gigs ram seems to react slower than my similar g5 single processor (tiger) w same amount of ram.
    Is the single processor G5 an iMac or a G5 Tower (it wasn't 100&#37; clear in your original post)...just curious?

Thanks,

- Nick
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup

darque
    both are towers. Both are smoother than ever. me happy !

Specs:
    both are towers. Both are smoother than ever. me happy !
    You said earlier that both towers were scoring in the upper 60's on Xbench...are they scoring any better now...since you said they're running smoother than ever?

Thanks,

- Nick

Thread Information