New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

G5 won't start if warm

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

hertz33

hertz33 is on a distinguished road

I have a 1.6 GHz G5 iMac running 10.4.11. If I shut it down I can't reboot for about 20 minutes. Also, I have an external Lacie Hard drive and usually the iMac won't start up if the hard drive is connected. I have checked for new LaCie drivers. Any ideas?

Thanks
Hertz33
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

Welcome to the Forums!

My initial thought about the first issue is a faulty heat sensor/thermostat. Do you notice the fan operating at unusually high speed when you've been using your iMac for, say, 30 minutes or more?

I've seen several (or more) posts on problems with LaCie external drives. I can't remember precisely which brand of drive is inside the enclosure, but I know some users have pulled the drive out and ditched the enclosure in favour of a different one. Do LaCie drives require drivers? I thought OS X simply recognised external devices natively - providing they're the right format.

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

Just as an aside - had a G3 iMac that would do that and while inside replacing HD noticed Heat Sink had a broken clip so was hanging by one clip so effectively no heat sink. Might be worth a peak inside if all else fails.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertz33 View Post
I have a 1.6 GHz G5 iMac running 10.4.11. If I shut it down I can't reboot for about 20 minutes. Also, I have an external Lacie Hard drive and usually the iMac won't start up if the hard drive is connected. I have checked for new LaCie drivers. Any ideas?

Thanks
Hertz33
You could also remove the side panel from your G5...and see if everything is clogged up with dirt & fuzz. If so give it a good cleaning to restore proper air-flow.

Check the cooling fins of the heat sinks...and all of the fans.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Side panel on an iMac? Are you sure Nick?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Side panel on an iMac? Are you sure Nick?
Ughh...I gotta stop taking/smoking the drugs!!! I saw G5 in the title, and right away I was thinking G5 Towers!

Kinda funny though if you think about it...someone with an iMac G5 out there searching for this mysterious side panel to remove so they can clean out the innards!

Thanks for catching that mistake Harry!..."hertz33" please ignore my post above!

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Got the original System Install discs? Pop in disc one and boot, then run Apple Hardware Test in the extended mode and see what is reported. And disconnect that Lacie as hughvane suggests.

Does the Lacie connect to mains power and if so use a different power point.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Ughh...I gotta stop taking/smoking the drugs!!! I saw G5 in the title, and right away I was thinking G5 Towers!

Kinda funny though if you think about it...someone with an iMac G5 out there searching for this mysterious side panel to remove so they can clean out the innards!

Thanks for catching that mistake Harry!..."hertz33" please ignore my post above!

- Nick
Something like this happened to me not so long ago..I took my wippen...But the innards of the Imac could be clogged up.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac SK View Post
Something like this happened to me not so long ago..I took my wippen...But the innards of the Imac could be clogged up.
Very true! I purchased a used iMac G5 recently...and it had a fair amount of "fuzz" in it!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« G5 Dual 1.8 desktop seems Slower than my single G5 | New-to-me G5 with issues. »