New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac G4 comparisons

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

613 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: G4 Cube 450MHz, MacBook Air 11" 2013, iMac 21.5" i3, iPad 1,1 32GB

Hey everyone, a simple question here really.

I have always wanted an iMac G4. I don't really care that it isn't at the cutting edge of technology, I bought a 450MHz Cube for myself for Christmas, after all. But I feel that it is just "one of those things I have to own," even if it doesn't do much. It is gorgeous.

However, after doing some research, and considering my Cube is doing everything I could technically want out of it with a 450MHz G4 Processor and only 128MB of RAM, I think an iMac G4 would be leaps and bounds in front.

Can you help me to decide between the final iterations of the 15" and 17" models? The 1GHz and 1.25GHz, respectively. Both have USB 2.0 which is all i actually need from it and the 20" really doesn't do it for me at all. More specifically, whether the 17" is worth the extra cash for the greater processor speed, screen real estate and bus speed.

What do you all think?

Thanks,

David
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

First i would check the Ram and if the 15 had 1GB and i did not want to spend any more cash i would go for that. Having said that if you can spare more then Ram is upgradable whereas screen size if not. Answer - it depends.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 613 View Post
Can you help me to decide between the final iterations of the 15" and 17" models? The 1GHz and 1.25GHz, respectively. Both have USB 2.0 which is all i actually need from it and the 20" really doesn't do it for me at all. More specifically, whether the 17" is worth the extra cash for the greater processor speed, screen real estate and bus speed.

What do you all think?

Thanks,

David
I would go for the 17" 1.25ghz USB 2.0 model iMac G4.

Why:

- 17" screen (more screen real estate than the 15")
- faster 1.25ghz processor
- USB 2.0
- better video card (only the 1.25ghz iMac G4's had the better video card)

Of course the prices & availability on these things can vary widely...so you may not have a ton of choices at any one time. You will have to take what you can get when available...or be very very patient until the exact configuration you want becomes available.

Then you have to hope it's a price that you're comfortable with...AND somebody else doesn't buy it before you.

Good luck,

- Nick

p.s. By the way...not all 17" 1.0ghz iMac G4's had USB 2.0. There were two 17" 1.0ghz iMac G4's...one had USB 1.0, and the other had USB 2.0.

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Go for the 1.25GHz as it will run Leopard OS X.5 so much better than a 1GHz model.
QUOTE Thanks

Thanks for the info and opinions!

I guess my only concern was having USB 2.0 and being able to use it with iTunes and sync/ charge my phone. Everything else would be a bonus.

Nick, I did not know any of the 1GHz 17" iMac G4s had USB 2.0, I thought it was only for the newer 1.25GHz 20" and 17" models, and the 1GHz 15" model. I shall have to look into that.

Harry, is the difference so great between the two models at running Leopard? Specifcally what about it would be slowed down? I don't really intend on doing much at all that is labour intensive by today's standards. The most I could imagine is probaby iCal, Pages, iTunes and Safari. But that would be fairly unlikely.

I guess my next question would be, what could I do on the 17" 1.25GHz model, that I couldn't do on the 15" 1GHz model? Would there be anything I'd miss?

Cheers for all the help everyone!

David
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 613 View Post
I guess my next question would be, what could I do on the 17" 1.25GHz model, that I couldn't do on the 15" 1GHz model? Would there be anything I'd miss?
Probably no difference. The 1.25ghz cpu would just be a "speed-bump" over the 1.0ghz processor.

Also the 15" 1ghz G4 iMac model would have the less sophisticated video card (only the 1.25ghz models had the better video card).

If you're considering watching internet video content (now or in the future)...such as You Tube, or videos on news websites such as CNN, BBC, etc...the faster the CPU speed & the better the video card...the smoother the video.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Thanks for the help,

I guess I would definitely prefer the faster 17" model. I think the screen looks the "right" size on top of the half-dome.

I think you are right Nick. It'll just be a case of finding one with the right stats on eBay and buying it. Although I don't mind just getting the barebones and buying extras like kb, mouse, RAM, etc later. I'm sure that will make it a lot easier to find one.

Plus the faster one will be more useful for a little bit longer regarding video streaming etc. Nothing else should really tax it too much!

Cheers everyone!

David
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

And 613 25% boost in processing speed is 25%!

And even more importantly the 1GHz model has a 133MHz system bus speed, the 1.25 has 167MHz bus, also the 1.25 uses much faster memory modules.
QUOTE Thanks

This is true, it is an extra 25%. Isn't it sad when I make decisions entirely on aesthetics, and which computer is prettier...

I thought that about the system bus too, but it seems all three of the final G4 models had the same bus. Only differences being the optical drive and the graphics card.

Differences between the final "USB 2.0" iMac G4 "Flat Panel" models @ EveryMac.com

Oh well, there isn't any rush, I'll pick up a 17" 1.25GHz model one day, when I find the right price.

David
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac RAM upgrade? | Magic Mouse - high friction »