New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Missing Music???? HELP

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

chrisf

chrisf is on a distinguished road

I have an external hard drive. Today I was going to move some music off of it to itunes. However, when I went to the file they were all renamed. Crazy names like /?-><.*@ Then i looked at the date and it said Dec. 31 1903. The file type was also changed to alias. However, everything else on the drive seem to be OK. I am missing a Thousands of songs.

Anyone have a clue, Thanks

FREAKIN OUT.
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.9 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.6.8

Let's back up a little.
1. From what computer did you transfer the music files to the external hard drive in the first place?
2. What is the format of the external drive?
3. Have you tried working the external with a different computer, Win or Mac?

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.
QUOTE Thanks
VegasGeorge

VegasGeorge is a jewel in the roughVegasGeorge is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac, and Macbook Pro

If you run a Google search for "Dec. 31 1903" you'll find that you're not the only one with this problem. Unfortunately, I didn't find any kind of verified explanation or solution. However, there is enough out there to lead me to believe that someone, somewhere knows what this is all about. So keep looking. Good luck to you, and please come back here and post again when you find a solution.
QUOTE Thanks
chrisf

The music was transfered from another HD using my imac. I worked fine for six months maybe more. Then BOOM. gone. Not sure about the "My Book" format.
Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
chrisf

I will google Dec. 31 1903

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.9 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.6.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisf View Post
I will google Dec. 31 1903
Apple - Support - Discussions - Idisk is dated December 31, 1903 7:00 ...

To get that external drive format - once it's mounted to the desktop of your iMac, open Disk Utilities, select the external drive and Get Info.

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Imac and new wireless keyboad. | mac g5 ram issues »