Specs:
    Mac Pro 2008 2.8ghz-8core 12gb RAM + MacBook Pro 2010 i7 2.66 8gb RAM
    Internal Hard drive Suddenly Disappeared
    I woke up this morning and found that one of my internal hard drives (the one i use to store all my music AU plugins) was missing from my desktop, and i went into disc utility and it had disappeared for no reason!

I shut down the computer and took out all the hard drive bays and put them back, and when i restarted it said mac couldn't recognise the hard drive!

The hard drive is a 500gb western digital, it came with my mac pro and has the apple stamp on it!

Im running a 2nd gen mac pro with snow leopard, any help would be appreciated, cuz i dont want to have to buy a new hard drive, then have to reinstall the 400gb of libraries again, lol!

Thanks

Specs:
    rMBP 15" / 2.6GHz / 16GB / 512GB
    Try putting the drive in an external USB enclosure. If it doesnt work there it is probably something wrong with the drive itself.
    My Blog: Apple Laptops

Specs:
    MacMini 4.1, OS 10.11 and 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.11, MacBook 4.1, OS 10.6.8
    To save you the cost of an external enclosure, which may or may not prove necessary, try using a SATA-USB adaptor, like this Newer Technology Universal Drive Adapter -... (U2NV2SPATA) at OWC (realising you're in the UK, you can probably find a cheaper, generic adaptor at a PC shop). Test the drive while it's out of the Pro.

If the drive has died for some reason, maybe this Data Recovery Software, Hard Drive Data/File Recovery Software - Windows/Mac could be useful in extracting as many of your audio files as possible.
    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

Specs:
    Mac Pro 2008 2.8ghz-8core 12gb RAM + MacBook Pro 2010 i7 2.66 8gb RAM
    In the end i had to use my extended warranty and get a new hard drive from apple and just re install the programs again! Quite a nuisance, but apple were friendly and quick about it!

Thread Information