New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Internal Hard drive Suddenly Disappeared

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Chris_Music

Chris_Music is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2008 2.8ghz-8core 12gb RAM + MacBook Pro 2010 i7 2.66 8gb RAM

I woke up this morning and found that one of my internal hard drives (the one i use to store all my music AU plugins) was missing from my desktop, and i went into disc utility and it had disappeared for no reason!

I shut down the computer and took out all the hard drive bays and put them back, and when i restarted it said mac couldn't recognise the hard drive!

The hard drive is a 500gb western digital, it came with my mac pro and has the apple stamp on it!

Im running a 2nd gen mac pro with snow leopard, any help would be appreciated, cuz i dont want to have to buy a new hard drive, then have to reinstall the 400gb of libraries again, lol!

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Strukt

Strukt will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: rMBP 15" / 2.6GHz / 16GB / 512GB

Try putting the drive in an external USB enclosure. If it doesnt work there it is probably something wrong with the drive itself.

My Blog: Apple Laptops
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.9 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.6.8

To save you the cost of an external enclosure, which may or may not prove necessary, try using a SATA-USB adaptor, like this Newer Technology Universal Drive Adapter -... (U2NV2SPATA) at OWC (realising you're in the UK, you can probably find a cheaper, generic adaptor at a PC shop). Test the drive while it's out of the Pro.

If the drive has died for some reason, maybe this Data Recovery Software, Hard Drive Data/File Recovery Software - Windows/Mac could be useful in extracting as many of your audio files as possible.

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.
QUOTE Thanks
Chris_Music

Chris_Music is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2008 2.8ghz-8core 12gb RAM + MacBook Pro 2010 i7 2.66 8gb RAM

In the end i had to use my extended warranty and get a new hard drive from apple and just re install the programs again! Quite a nuisance, but apple were friendly and quick about it!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« when i type gmail on my mac, it automatically puts in a string of dropbox information | Having trouble with airport extreme with iMac 27" »