Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

No Sound on Mac Mini
    Hello,

Here at work, I use a Mac Mini 3,1 (2 ghz core 2 duo) running OS X 10.5.7 on which everything works fine except there is no audio. The hardware info says there's an Intel hi-def audio device (0x10DECB79) present, and there is a headset port on the back of the case, but when I try to use the sound control panel, the controls are grayed out and the "muted" button is checked and also grayed out. I did speak to IT but haven't gotten any help from them. I was wondering if this is something my work did to prevent me from listening to music, etc., or if this could be a hardware problem that is known and can be fixed. (I've tried using headphones but that doesn't work, the volume buttons on the keyboard just give the crossed-out speaker sign) I have an admin password that I received to download some necessary software, but the admin privileges don't help with audio, as there's no admin-level audio functions that I can see, you either can access them or you can't (unless there's an admin ability to mute sound on some other control panel other than audio). Anyway, thanks for any insights into what might be causing my audio controls to be muted and grayed out.

Sorry to bump the post but I'm at the end of my rope. Any ideas on how to get sound on a Mac Mini? Again: sound options are grayed out and mute button is checked and grayed out. Thanks ...

Specs:
    Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS
    Do other Macintoshes in the workplace exhibit this behavior?

No ... unfortunately it's just mine.

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    Is there a red light coming out of the sound out port on this machine?

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    Quote Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
    Is there a red light coming out of the sound out port on this machine?
    That very well could be the issue. We used to get posts all the time with Macbooks and MBP's with the Red light out of the audio out jack meaning it was stuck in Optical mode. All Intel Mini's use that same jack.

No ... no red light. If it were stuck in optical mode, are there steps I could take to get it out of that mode? It might be worth trying just to see.

Same problem here
    Mine goes beyond the greyed out sound icon, as that just started happening two days ago. I've found that simply sticking a speaker cable in the port and then taking it out again wakes up the sound. However, I fear this is another intermittent sound problem that will get worse.

You see, for the last couple of weeks, I haven't been able to get any sound at all through any external speakers (They all work fine when connected to other sources: the problem's definitely not the speakers or the cables.). At first it was an intermittent problem solved (again) by unplugging and re-plugging the speaker cable, and now it simply only plays through the built in speaker (except when the sound isn't working at all..)

Going to Apple store later on this morning- luckily my machine is still covered.

Specs:
    Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
    A quick question - if you go into System Preferences -> Sound, there is a button that is labeled Output.

If you click on that, what does it show in the list of available outputs? ie: Does it show digital out? Does it show headset? Does it show internal Speakers? And whatever is in the list - what is currently selected?
    My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m, 16Gig ram; 2013 Mac Pro 6 core w/ D700, 16Gig Ram; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Linux; Apple TV (1080p version)

Nethfel, it says no output device found.

omg dude. that totally happened to my dad's mac mini too. He just got it off work as a personal computer and he told me to set it up. But then I found out there was no sound and the sound thing doesnt appear at the top right bar. it only shows a blank space. I need serious help cuz my dad needs the sound.

ps. I used earplugs too but it never worked

reds baseline
    Maybe we'll both be able to get some info, Asta.

Specs:
    iMac 21.5-inch 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8gb mem
    fix to external speaker problem, sound icon grayed out
    I'm having the same issue and will try the PRAM reset when I get home today.

1. Reboot mac
    2. press and hold down the Command-Option-P-R keys
    3. hold the keys until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound a second time.
    4. release keys.

This problem happened months ago and appeared again after updating my osx to 10.6.3.
    If I remember correctly, this is how I fixed it last time.

Thanks, I'll try it. Does resetting the PRAM have any other effects I should know about? I.e., is there a chance something that's working correctly now won't be after the reset?

Specs:
    iMac 21.5-inch 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8gb mem
    PRAM reset didn't work
    Turns out my audio input jack on my imac is shorting out.
    The cable connector feels loose in the jack.
    3 1/2 months old.
    I'll take it to my local Apple store this week to have them look at it.
    Very strange coincidence that it would choose to fail right after the osx update.

Thread Information