New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Hard drive not recognized correctly?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

macguy57366

macguy57366 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: See Signature.

I recently purchased a new 500 gig hard drive for the powermac (specs on right). I formatted it and went to put everything from the old drive on there and the Finder window says it only has 128 gigs available. I went to Disk Utility, and it said the same thing. What's the deal?

Zach H.
PowerMac G4 AGP graphics, Mac OSX 10.4.11, 512 MB RAM, 10GB HD, 802.11g network card, 400 MHz PowerPC processor, 500GB Western Digital External HD hooked up on FW400
QUOTE Thanks
Rottie

Rottie will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy57366 View Post
I recently purchased a new 500 gig hard drive for the powermac (specs on right). I formatted it and went to put everything from the old drive on there and the Finder window says it only has 128 gigs available. I went to Disk Utility, and it said the same thing. What's the deal?
Hi there,

As I understand it (I could be wrong, though.. Been out of touch with Macs for a while, but I digress...) large drives over 128Gb were only supported natively in later G4s, such as the Quicksliver 2002 and later models.

Quote:
Desktop Macs earlier than the 2002 Quicksilver PowerMac G4 were limited to IDE drives of 128 GiB in size or less. This is a limitation of the IDE controller on the Mac logic board. You cannot get around it by partitioning the drive. To use larger hard drives, there is third party software that can patch the problem, or you can install an IDE or SATA drive controller in a PCI slot and connect the drive to this card, or you can install a larger drive in a Firewire enclosure to use it with these machines. The chipset in the enclosure must be able to support the drive, which is not generally an issue except with very early (and thus, slow and unstable) chipsets. Assuming the chipset supports the drive, the FireWire bus itself will support any size drive
copied/pasted from wikipedia

Hope this helps.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

That is absolutely correct what Rottie has told you 128GB is all they will see in the present format. You van add a PCI Controller Card to get around this. Also consider breaking the drive into 4x125GB partitions. Controller card cost is more than thew G4 is worth alas:-

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/ACARD/AEC6885M/

Shame you never asked before you jumped as 2 x 125GB HDD installed internally would have been better and cheaper.
QUOTE Thanks
Rottie

Rottie will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Also consider breaking the drive into 4x125GB partitions.
Hi Harry,
Unfortunately, natively you cannot partition the drive into multiple slices to get around the 128Gb limit. Unless of course, you were talking about using the PCI card you mentioned?

From my original (wikipedia) quote (bold emphasis is mine)
Quote:
Desktop Macs earlier than the 2002 Quicksilver PowerMac G4 were limited to IDE drives of 128 GiB in size or less. This is a limitation of the IDE controller on the Mac logic board. You cannot get around it by partitioning the drive. To use larger hard drives, there is third party software that can patch the problem, or you can install an IDE or SATA drive controller in a PCI slot and connect the drive to this card, or you can install a larger drive in a Firewire enclosure to use it with these machines.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Using Macbooks Multitouch on a Mac Pro? Possible? | imac g3 memory problems »