New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

do i need antivirus for vista running parallels?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Steve Adams

Steve Adams is on a distinguished road

Do I need to install an AV program for parallels?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

If you are running windows, you need an AV program.

I would suggest Microsoft's Security Essentials.

Free and seems to keep resource usage to a minimum.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

Even if you are dreaming about Windows you need antivirus.
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

That's must one pretty sick nightmare if it has windows in it
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Windows is Windows, whether running in Boot Camp on through a VM software like Parallels, VMWare Fusion or VirtualBox, you still have to do everything you normally do to protect it..

The only upside of going the VM route is that should the copy of Windows get corrupted, it can NO way affect your Mac and you can blow away that instance and create a new one..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
Steve Adams

Steve Adams is on a distinguished road

Ok,

I need windows as a few of my work programs that are propritory to our business are windows only.

so either way I slice it, I need windows.

Im going to try those on parallels....
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
That's must one pretty sick nightmare if it has windows in it
Lol. Yes...yes it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Adams View Post
I need windows as a few of my work programs that are propritory to our business are windows only.
That's part of the reason why I also have Windows installed. The point everyone is trying to make is that it really is actually Windows you are installing so everything you normally do in Windows like having antivirus should also be done for your Windows partition.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
The only upside of going the VM route is that should the copy of Windows get corrupted, it can NO way affect your Mac and you can blow away that instance and create a new one..
Very true. This is why I recommend that after you create your Windows VM and activate it, back up a copy of the VM. With a "pure" and activated Windows VM backup, you can easily and quickly start over again by copying it over as opposed to having to reinstall and reactivate Windows.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
VegasGeorge

VegasGeorge is a jewel in the roughVegasGeorge is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac, and Macbook Pro

Oh yes! You need all the prophylactics customary to PC use. The only exception would be if you NEVER went online while using Windows, AND virus scanned all files coming into your Mac from whatever source. But, who would depend on that? It would be crazy. So yes, you need anti virus.
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGeorge View Post
The only exception would be if you NEVER went online while using Windows, AND virus scanned all files coming into your Mac from whatever source.
The only thing I would like to add to that statement is that even if a person's Window side has no contact with the outside world viruses can still be brought over from their Mac side.

Windows viruses don't affect Macs but because of this Mac users aren't aware about possibly passing along PC viruses so if a person uses files back and forth between their Mac and Windows sides then their Windows side may get infected.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« IMAC 27" Quad Core | G4 Quicksilver adn G4 dual 867 mirrored doors - same symptoms »