New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Thinking about buying a mac mini.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mikkel083

mikkel083 is on a distinguished road

Hello,

I want to switch to mac for a while now because i have less time to spend because of my new job and windows sometimes took a lot of my free time removing ad/spyware, searchbars,reformatting or worse: trojans .

So i need a safe and stable computer that just Works when i get home .
I have tried Ubuntu wich works great for me but the only thing i cannot do with Ubuntu is work with iTunes and that is a must-have for me because i have all my music stored on iTunes and i have to use it for my iPod Touch.

I never used a Mac before so i hope you guys can help me out.

I am thinking about buying a Mac Mini ( the $599 one ) because i don't have a very big budget to spend.

Things i do on my computer are:

- Word processing
- Internet browsing
- Watching movies DVD/.Avi/.MKV
- Listen to music

Can the mac mini do this fast and stable?
Because $599 is a lot of money for me.

Thanks in Advance,

Excuse me for my bad english!
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

I have the 1.83 Ghz Mac Mini upgraded to 3GB of RAM and it handles all of those tasks very well. The latest Mini's processor is even faster and as long as you get at least 2GB of memory (more is better), you will not regret it. The Mini is a very capable little machine..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
mikkel083

Should 2GB of ram be enough?
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Yup, 2Gb will be sufficient. I initially had 1GB and that was a little low, upgrading to 3GB gave the machine a lot of zip. 3GB was the max I could go with my version and it only costs $25..so I did the upgrade.

You can do the same, but go to the max 4GB later on if you feel 2GB isn't enough..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

For what you are going to use the Mini for 2GB should be plenty. I have an older Core2Duo Mini with 2GB and do even more advanced things with it and it always runs fast and smooth.
QUOTE Thanks
richsadams

richsadams will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Late 2013 - 3.5GHz Core i7 - 32GB RAM - GTX 780< 4GB GPU

We have two Mac Minis in our household. One is a "media server" we use to play our iTunes and iPhoto library, play DVD's, etc. in our home theater setup. My wife has the second one which she uses for normal day-to-day activities such as you've listed.

Both (in fact all of our Mac's) are outstanding, rock solid, virus-free and a joy to use. Having been a Windows user for a very long time (since v3.1) I almost forgot how pleasant a good computer can be. We spend our time working with our computers instead of on them now.

If money is an issue you could look at a refurbished model from Apple. You can save 10% to as much as 25% on current models and once in a while a previous generation will pop up on their web site for even better savings. They carry the same one-year warranty (can be extended to three by buying Apple Care). I picked up our most recent Mini that way. We saved $100 and it has been flawless. Used Minis can be found on eBay as well. I purchased a MacBook from eBay at a very good price once and it was in perfect shape.

You'll be more than happy once you make the switch so enjoy!
QUOTE Thanks
Steve Adams

Steve Adams is on a distinguished road

I unboxed my mini today, im started to learn everything about it now....i am actually really liking it, I have a huge PC box, with 4 hds etc in it, a nd this little thing on my desk. very very cool!
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

My Mini, with only 1GB of RAM can probably handle all you want to do. I don't use it for movies, and only rarely for music, but all the other stuff you mentioned. I'm sure 2GB will be plenty, as others have said. And, I had no idea English was not your native tongue as I was reading through your post, nor did I notice any glaring errors.
QUOTE Thanks
mikkel083

Thanks for the the quick responses , i hope to buy my first Mac soon !
I have been using Apple mp3 players and they work amazing my mom still uses her ipod shuffle 1g wich i bought 3/4 years ago.
Amazing products so i am very excited about getting a Mac that will also last for years without problems.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« anti glare for imac | I've decided to buy an iMac... »