New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Hello I'm new! ..... G5 fan question....

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lootinantdan

lootinantdan is on a distinguished road

I have a G5, it's quiet. 2.5 GHz processor 2gig ram. I record music with Logic Pro. When I open Logic and select play to listen to even a small file, then fans start to get loud. It's not showing that a great deal of CPU is being used. I tried resetting pram, and software update. My OS X is 10.5.8 ... I'm new to the G5 and Logic for that matter. So maybe its a buffer setting or some other setting within Logic that needs adjusting? Thanks for your help!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Just a thought...have you ever removed the side panel...and checked out the insides for lots of dirt & fuzz?

The cooling fin's of the CPU & graphics card heat-sinks can get clogged with dirt & fuzz...the fan's can also get really clogged with fuzz.

If it's dirty inside...and you give it a good cleaning...this could & should improve the cooling efficiency...and hopefully keep fan noise to a minimum.

But also realize that the G5 desktop computers were well known to be really loud due to the somewhere around 9 fans that they had in them. So yes, it may be quiet when you are just surfing the internet, using MS Office, or e-mail...but if you start putting some demand on the CPU or GPU...things will heat up, and the fans will start kicking into high gear.

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
ron45

ron45 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac quad 8, Os X.8.5 6gig ram for now

Hi I have similar setup with Digital Performer instead. My fans are not loud when recording or playing back stereo files, even with very low buffer settings in the recording app.

My hearing is not the best but my fans are barely evident most of the time. I've been very impressed with it's noise level. Mine is 2.0 gigahertz. I think you mentioned two gig of ram.

If the cleanup suggestions don't stop the noise get more ram. I have 4.5 gig and never get processor warnings. I don't record huge projects. Sixteen tracks with plenty of stereo voices are fine. With a bigger project like the one above, I need to reduce the buffer setting when I'm editing and not recording. What kind of music do you record?

Ron
QUOTE Thanks
kahlil88

kahlil88 is a jewel in the roughkahlil88 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro A1151 2.16 GHz

I've been doing some iMac G5 repairs the last two weeks. At this age, it's a good idea to replace the thermal compound on the CPU and GPU, which at this point will be rock hard, and take a shop vac to all the fans and heatsink to blow out dust bunnies.

There is no system but GNU and Linux is one of its kernels.
Join the FSF as an Associate Member!

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 2008 20" iMac Core 2 Duo in storage for 5 years. | iMac G5 powers on but no display »