New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

G4 Quicksilver 2002 dead DVDRW drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Rottie

Rottie will become famous soon enough

Hi all,

First off, sorry for the e-novel.

I brought a used G4 Quicksilver 2002 just before Xmas, which unknown to me had a dying DVDRW drive.

Basically, what was happening, was I'd put a disc (-R) into the drive, which would 99.99% of the time would make the whole G4 lock up and give me the multi-coloured beach ball icon on the screen and refuse to eject the disk, either from the eject key, or any other means (left MB, open firmware, terminal).
At this point, the drive could still read media, but it couldn't write (although, I have managed to write one CDR with it, about 2 weeks back).

Now, today I decide that I need to make a backup of my Tiger disc (I have an original, in immaculate condition, but don't want to get it scratched as the dvds are about as rare as rocking horse poop), so I stuck the DVD into the drive and nothing happened.
I opened System Profiler and it said no optical drive detected (or something similar) and the drive refused to eject the disc, even after a restart.

Anyways, long story short, I restarted the G4 and the drive showed in SP, but still refused to eject the disc. It took me seven attempts to get the DVD to eject and now, the drive won't read anything; it just makes a whirrr...clunk...whirrr noise, then spits the media back out.

The device in my G4 is a Pioneer 103 (Below is the blurb about the drive from SP)
Code:
PIONEER DVD-RW  DVR-103:

Firmware Revision:	1.49
  Interconnect:	ATAPI
  Burn Support:	Yes (Apple Shipped/Supported)
  Cache:	2000 KB
  Reads DVD:	Yes
  CD-Write:	-R, -RW
  DVD-Write:	-R, -RW
  Burn Underrun Protection CD:	No
  Burn Underrun Protection DVD:	Yes
  Write Strategies:	CD-TAO, CD-SAO, DVD-DAO
  Media:	No
Now, I've been told conflicting stories about replacing this drive and TBH I don't know who/what to believe, so I thought I'd ask you nice folks.

One person has said I need to get a Pioneer SuperDrive, because I'm using Tiger (10.4) and others have said I can use almost any DVDRW, as long as it's IDE/ATAPI.

BUT if I get a bog-standard IDE/ATAPI drive, will I be able to (1) use it to boot from my 10.4 media (The person who told me to get the SuperDrive said that other IDE drives wouldn't allow you to boot/install) and 2) Will I be able to use itunes/disk utility to burn CD/DVDs? Again the same person told me if I got an IDE drive, I'd need to buy Toast, as you can only burn from the Finder with Pioneers.

Many thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

I replaced the drive in my G4 a while ago.

I would stick to the pioneers, they are guaranteed to work and dont cost very much

The pioneer 110s, 118s etc will all work with no extra drivers to mess with

Performance Upgrades; FireWire USB SATA Storage; Memory, more at OWC

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
Rottie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louishen View Post
I replaced the drive in my G4 a while ago.

I would stick to the pioneers, they are guaranteed to work and dont cost very much

The pioneer 110s, 118s etc will all work with no extra drivers to mess with

Performance Upgrades; FireWire USB SATA Storage; Memory, more at OWC
Hi Louis,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Would one of these do the job? It's not mac specific, so I'm not sure about the booting/burning in Finder.

Thanks again.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

Yes that will work nicely and all Pioneer drives are recognised as native. Only thing don't see is if the drive is Dual Layer (DL) burning capacity?

Here is how to replace the optical in a Quicksilver:-

eshop.macsales.com/tech_center/manuals/cdinstall/quicksilver72.pdf
QUOTE Thanks
Rottie

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Yes that will work nicely and all Pioneer drives are recognised as native. Only thing don't see is if the drive is Dual Layer (DL) burning capacity?

Here is how to replace the optical in a Quicksilver:-

eshop.macsales.com/tech_center/manuals/cdinstall/quicksilver72.pdf
Hi Harry,

I had a look at the specs of that drive and from what I can see, it doesn't support DL, but to be honest, I don't think that would be much of an issue for me - I only really need -R/W capabilities at the moment.

Thanks for the PDF link. I already have that one, which I DL'd a couple of weeks back.

I've contacted the eBay seller I purchased the G4 off and he's offered to replace my drive with another 103, from another QS he has, so that's a bonus, for a short-term fix. But I'll likely get this one from Amazon in a few weeks, in case the replacement turns out to be on its last legs, like the one I have already.

EDIT: I've just done a quick ebay search and found this so I may go with this one, instead.
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.9 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.6.8

Honestly, the 103 is history, give it a miss.

I had a Pioneer 105, wouldn't write to modern disk media, replaced it with a 112 and then added a 115, both external, daisy-chained with firewire, the setup works a treat.

I concur with Louishen and Harry, Pioneer is arguably the best for Mac.

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute

Be careful Rottie!

When Pioneer drives are advertised as being for Macs of any version the price doubles. Do a general search of that model in the PC section of eBay and I am sure you will find one for half that price. They are all ATAPI and Macs recognise all Pioneer drives as native.
QUOTE Thanks
Rottie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughvane View Post
Honestly, the 103 is history, give it a miss.

I had a Pioneer 105, wouldn't write to modern disk media, replaced it with a 112 and then added a 115, both external, daisy-chained with firewire, the setup works a treat.

I concur with Louishen and Harry, Pioneer is arguably the best for Mac.
Hi Hugh,

Re: the 103 - I think I will take the seller up on his offer of a freebie replacement, just to keep me ticking over, so to speak, but like I said before, I'll order a new drive ASAP.
QUOTE Thanks
Rottie

Quote:
Be careful Rottie!

When Pioneer drives are advertised as being for Macs of any version the price doubles. Do a general search of that model in the PC section of eBay and I am sure you will find one for half that price. They are all ATAPI and Macs recognise all Pioneer drives as native.
Thanks for the words of advice, Harry. I did a search on "Pioneer dual layer DVDRW" on ebay and nothing came up, except a SATA drive - And the Apple advertised drive doesn't give a model number.
QUOTE Thanks
Rottie

Looks like I've found a good 'un
Pioneer 20x Int-DVDRW Black DVR-116DBK
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.9 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.6.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottie View Post
I think I will take the seller up on his offer of a freebie replacement
In which case, it can be used as a 'bare' external drive meantime. It's so easy to do with an ATA-USB adaptor, Newer Technology Universal Drive Adapter -... (U2NV2SPATA) at OWC (there are probably cheaper, generic ones about) but the limitation is USB1. Whilst the adaptor is USB2, the Q'silver ports are USB1 only. Maybe a PCI USB2 card at some stage? Louishen's the man to ask about that.

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

Yes that is the go Rottie buy it and throw it in.
QUOTE Thanks
Rottie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughvane View Post
Whilst the adaptor is USB2, the Q'silver ports are USB1 only. Maybe a PCI USB2 card at some stage? Louishen's the man to ask about that.
I'm one step ahead of you there, Hugh. I already have a Belkin 5 port USB 2.0 PCI card installed, from when I got my AIO printer, a couple of weeks ago. linky
QUOTE Thanks
Rottie

Quote:
Yes that is the go Rottie buy it and throw it in.
I've got it in my watch list as we speak. Can't do anything till the end of the month, cos my wallet's still having post chrimbo after shocks lol
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

Them empty wallets are a dashed disgrace. Got three of the devils and all empty!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« G4 MDD HD Death? | Shut Her Down? »