Unhappy iMac G5 - blank Screen and High Speed Fan
    I have read similar posts, but nothing I have done will fix this problem. I have an original iMac G5 20" 512MB PowerPC OS X 10.4.11. It has been great for many years. Suddenly, for the past two months, if I leave it on and go away for 60 or more minutes I come back and the system is locked up (only holding down the power button for 5 seconds will shut it off) and the fan is running full speed.

I opened it up, went through the four light diagnostics, passed everything, but did the RESET anyway. BTW - the iMac is well ventilated and has no dust built up inside. It is still locking up after letting it sit unused for a long period of time. After more research I downloaded the temperature monitor software. My CPU is running at 72 degree C. I don't know if that is too hot?

Any ideas for next steps? New power supply? Software patch? New power management card (is there one?)?

27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 10.10.2 -64Gb iPad 2-64 Gb iPhone 6+-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage
    Sounds like a CPU heat issue. If you have the original system discs that came with it, insert Disc 2 and restart while holding down the "D" key. If you only have one disc then do so with that one. This will run the Apple Hardware test. If the machine passes it's likely a software problem. If the machine fails then it's hardware.

Why did you double post this topic?

Thread Information