New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

help with internet

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

CADDYSHACK

CADDYSHACK is on a distinguished road

Hi I'm new to this forum don't know if im in the right place
my problem is ,

I have two computers connected on my BT Broadband upstairs is my APPLE computer downstairs in the livingroom is my Moms PC running on XP both were running fine till yesterday eve , the Pc's connection is ok speed fine
The problem is with my imac with snow leapord it was fine all of a sudden no connection . I Decided to to go through all sort of checks including restarting the router from BT .That seemed to solve some of my problems sometimes I am connected for a while but very slow 1meg instead of the usual 5-6mg i know i shoud get 8mg
as i said before my moms PC is fine.
any help would be great
THANKS
CADDYSHACK
QUOTE Thanks
CADDYSHACK

zzzzz
QUOTE Thanks
Spike88

Spike88 is on a distinguished road

If you surf your ISP's Support pages, they may have online "updated" instructions to configure their Modem/Router. If using an ISP and different company modem/gateway box, surf the modem/gateway box site as well. They may have updated patches or update configurations on their Web Site (under their config / support pages) as well.

If wondering, I've been networking my home machines for many years. Out of the blue, my one workstation's connection become unstable. I tried this, I tried that and still, it was unstable. For "heck of it", I surfed my ISP's Support pages and to my surprise, they had updated their original settings page. One of those "bug fixes" they don't openly advertise. Today, no more access problems.

This tip might work for your setup as well....

QUOTE Thanks
Spike88

Just found the below on a different Mac forum.

"Just spoke with Apple - If you are using a 2Wire wireless connection with your Apple, you need to change the wireless network security to wpa2-psk in the 2Wire. It's an Apple security issue."

As a suggestion, try this change in your wireless modem/router (even if not a 2wire brand). It might solve your Mac wireless problems as well...

Hope this helps...

QUOTE Thanks
Spike88

A few months back, I installed a "cool looking" Add-On and afterwards, my workstation started acting funny. Did some research and discovered one of the Add-Ons was "pulling my network access down".

If you can, run your brower "without" add-ons. If problem goes away, you found the area of the problem. Start disabling each add-on - until problem goes away...

See below cut/paste for more details....

----------

How do browser add-ons affect my browsing experience?

Add-ons, also known as ActiveX controls, browser extensions, browser helper objects or toolbars, can improve your experience on a website by enabling content such as high-quality animations. However, some add-ons can also malfunction or display content that you don’t want, such as pop-up ads.

When an add-on, such as a toolbar, is installed on your computer, it becomes part of your browser and operating system. In some cases these programs might contain spyware. In the worst case, a malfunctioning add-on might affect the performance of your computer or cause problems accessing the Internet.

Hope this helps as well....

QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike88 View Post
...Hope this helps as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADDYSHACK View Post
zzzzz
Still snoozing in the clubhouse?

Another thing to try; tell us what browser you're using. I'm assuming that's where you're seeing the slowdown; on the internet. Is that right?
QUOTE Thanks
CADDYSHACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike88 View Post

Just found the below on a different Mac forum.

"Just spoke with Apple - If you are using a 2Wire wireless connection with your Apple, you need to change the wireless network security to wpa2-psk in the 2Wire. It's an Apple security issue."

As a suggestion, try this change in your wireless modem/router (even if not a 2wire brand). It might solve your Mac wireless problems as well...

Hope this helps...

thanks for doing that
QUOTE Thanks
CADDYSHACK

to all thanks for help
caddyshack
QUOTE Thanks
CADDYSHACK

will post what happens
Caddyshack
QUOTE Thanks
CADDYSHACK

Like I said i would update you to what happens it is now working BT done it dont ask what they did!
caddyshack
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« mac mini 2.0 with SL, not able to use digital audio with toslink | LAN - Refresh/update connection »